Assault & Battery Battery Misdemeanor - no charges filed - is arrest public record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben007

I was arrested for a Battery Misdemeanor - but no charges were filed by the DA and my case was dismissed on my court date (no complaint notice received).
This was the first time it ever happened to me. The 1 year period is still 6 months away btw...

My question is at this time is my arrest a public record and can be seen by anyone? including potential future employers? (I know the law enforcement agencies can see that anytime though).

Please suggest.

I was arrested for a Battery Misdemeanor - but no charges were filed by the DA and my case was dismissed on my court date (no complaint notice received).
This was the first time it ever happened to me. The 1 year period is still 6 months away btw...

My question is at this time is my arrest a public record and can be seen by anyone? including potential future employers? (I know the law enforcement agencies can see that anytime though).

Please suggest.

The problem is that ALL of that arrest data has been transported to your state's chief law enforcement agency and the FBI.

Talk to some lawyers in your state and county.

The initial conversation is often free.

Please suggest.
Yes, it is a public record, but, no, it is not widely publicly available. If you were booked into the county jail, the record of the arrest can be a publicly accessible record. The police report is not easily accessible and would likely be withheld from public release.

You can petition to have the data destroyed per PC 851.8

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/851.8.html

Your court may have a specific process and forms to help in this matter. Best bet would be to seek the aid of an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back