Bathroom use discrimination?

DrIkkity

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I work in a guard shack for a shipping yard contracted to another company. Traditionally there are 2 bathrooms. One was inside and unisex. Another was out the locked door and around the corner of the building. (Small building, around an extra 15-20 steps fromt eh other restroom). The second bathroom requires leaving a secure building and walking a short distance outside. It is also a public unisex room. Any employee and customer has access to it.

The company that owns the gaurd shack recently changed the bathrooms. The restroom located inside is now for only one gender and the bathroom outside stayed the same. Myself and the other 4 who share the same gender are only allowed to use the outside one. There are around 30 employees that are employed in the building that use the restrooms.

Is this legally okay? Is there anything I can do?

For 20 paces, is this something you want to be fired over?

For 20 paces, is this something you want to be fired over?
20 paces out of a secured building in the weather. Sometimes pouring rain or freezing snow. To use . public restroom that has literally had feces spread all over both the floor and toilet. Which we arent allowed to clean ourselves (reprimanded if we do and it's found out) and instead have to call maintenance. Average wait for them is 3-4 hours. The opposite gender is allowed to use the bathroom inside and only employees are able to use it. (Much more respect for cleanliness than the public)

Is this legally okay?

If I was facing the GIGANTIC change, I'd consider the recent change well within the power of the employer/building owner.

Is there anything I can do?

Yes, you'll get more exercise as you use the NEW, exclusive relief facilities.

In fact, I'd write a nice note thanking the employer for being so considerate.

Is this legally okay?

Yes, it seems so as described.

Is there anything I can do?

1. At the beginning and end of shift check if maintenance is needed and call. If there is a separate shift ask them to do the same.

2. Without complaining, inform YOIR employer of unsanitary conditions and ask if there is any alternative.

3. Do nothing. Recognize that one gender was gong to have to use the other restroom and you were simply outnumbered.

4. Seek reassignment or new employment.

Yes, it seems so as described.

1. At the beginning and end of shift check if maintenance is needed and call. If there is a separate shift ask them to do the same.

2. Without complaining, inform YOIR employer of unsanitary conditions and ask if there is any alternative.

3. Do nothing. Recognize that one gender was gong to have to use the other restroom and you were simply outnumbered.

4. Seek reassignment or new employment.
Regarding #4, I assume you mean job reassignment not gender reassignment...correct? ;):p

I work in a guard shack for a shipping yard contracted to another company...The company that owns the gaurd shack recently changed the bathrooms.

Just so I understand this, the company that owns the guard shack and that made this change is NOT your employer, right?

Correct. I work for a company that is contracted to work in the building. The owner of the building made the change

That poses a big hurdle for you right there. The law prohibits your employer from discriminating against employees on the basis of sex. But it wasn't your employer that made this change.

Back