Background checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogduck

I am curious about the legality of background check companies giving out background beyond the employers request of 3, 7, or even 10 years. I was convicted of a felony on Sept 10, 1996 which is way beyond The employers request of 'Have you been convicted of a felony in the past 10 years? ', and at least two background check companies have provided to the employers the coviction from 1996. Isn't this a form of discrimination?

I am curious about the legality of background check companies giving out background beyond the employers request of 3, 7, or even 10 years. I was convicted of a felony on Sept 10, 1996 which is way beyond The employers request of 'Have you been convicted of a felony in the past 10 years? ', and at least two background check companies have provided to the employers the coviction from 1996. Isn't this a form of discrimination?

No, a criminal conviction (unless sealed, expunged, or pardoned) is a matter of public record.

The time parameter provided by employers is sometimes used to see if a paerson has turned their life around.

If you're truthful about a conviction, an employer will sometimes make an employment decision based upon a positive change in someone's life.

That said, a job is not a right.

An employer can be selective in whom they hire.

It isn't illegal to hire someone because they have red hair.

It isn't discriminatory to NOT hire them because they have brown hair, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back