Backed out of Auto Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

eckodog

I agreed to sell my car to an individual for $24650. After that the person paid $99 for an Auto Inspection. After the inspection the person wanted to reduce the price to $24000. I suggested $24500 and the person went back down to $24200. I needed to make a quick decision so the next morning I said okay. About 3 hours later I backed out of the deal because I thought the price was too low. The person now wants me to pay for the $99 inspection since I backed out. Am I legally obligated to pay ?

Well, it would depend on any agreement you had before, who is going to pay for the inspection. What did you agree on who would pay for it in case a sale would have been made?

Normally oral contracts are binding. You can assert a defense, however, because it seems you have not signed a contract, which under state law would probably be necessary to make the contract enforceable.

However, I would suggest that you compromise here and pay the inspection fee, because you had agreed to the sale and then backed out. This way you avoid more aggravation.

I do want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
We made no oral or written agreement on who would pay for the inspection. If there were any expenses incurred from the time I said okay to the time I said no then I would definitely feel obligated to pay. This person was willing to walk away from the deal if I had not said yes to the last offer. I don't yet see the logic or any legal aspect of how this is my issue. Is this just a case of being a nice guy and paying?

yes, legally you probably would not be obligated to pay. However, this is only because you probably have a defense to the formation of the contract, which is that it was not in writing. If that requirement would not exist, you would be breaching the contract.

That is why I think it would be a sign of fairness to pay.

Pocket change

For the effort, I would settle for the $99 on the condition you get a copy of the receipt and the inspection report. You can add it to the cost of the product next time you sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back