Back-Pay Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPEG

In August of 2008, I began working for a school system in Georgia. When I was hired with this school system, during the orientation, I received a Salary Form, stating estimated pay per day, and the number of hours I would have to work. All the information on this Salary Form was conditional, based upon my college transcripts. On the Salary Form, it stated my employment with the county was temporary, until they received my transcripts. However, I am still employed with the county. Unfortunately, for months there was a mix up with my college, delaying the release of my transcripts for over a year. Over the past year, I have tried to get my transcripts and my college kept reiterating that my transcripts were sent. After realizing nothing had changed with my pay and my transcripts were never sent, I finally got an explanation of why my transcripts were never sent. After almost a year in trying to obtain my transcripts, my college informed me that the reason my transcripts were never sent, was due to the fact that I had an outstanding balance with the school, and until the balance was paid in full, I would not be able to get my transcripts for any purpose, including employment. From August of 2008 until April of 2009, I was told by the school system's compensation office that if I were to get my transcripts sent to the school's compensation office, I would be able to receive back-pay for the months that I worked and my salary would increase, due to my college experience. It is now October of 2009, and I have finally received my college transcripts and sent them to the county's compensation office for review. The school's compensation office told me they were not going to be able to back-pay my salary from the start of employment in August of 2008 to the current date, due to the fact there was no error from the county I work with. I was told that the only back-pay I would receive would be from August of 2009 up to the current date. First, when I started working for this particular school-district, I received an estimated salary form, stating how much I would make per day. My school does not want to grant any back-pay from last year, but only for this year, starting with August of 2009, instead of August of 2008. Fourteen months have gone by, and a large portion of my pay was withheld, due to not being able to provide a transcript. The discrepancy is that my school system wants to only grant back-pay for the 2008-2009 school year. However, this is still the 2009 school year, and the school system only wants to grant me back-pay from August of 2009 instead of August of 2008 up to the current month (October, 2009). I have researched my handbook and it states nothing about a deadline in when transcripts should be turned in. What are my options in trying to obtain back-pay from August of 2008 to the current month?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jamie

Jamie, you aren't going to win. If you fight you may lose your job. Chalk it up to experience and go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back