Attorney sends unrequested MC-050 together with initial filing paperwork

A

alex.pulsifer

Jurisdiction
California
An attorney is helping with all the paperwork for a simple uncontested divorce. In addition to all the forms for filing of the initial petition, they sent me MC-050-Substitution of Attorney. I have not asked to substitute them (we haven't even filed yet)! After asking the attorney about this form, they told me that it gets filed when the case is over. Is this true? The form says it is for replacing the lawyer .... And even if true, why would they ask me to sign it at the beginning of the process? I highly suspect that the lawyer is trying to get rid of me, but I can't understand why as they are being payed (through my legal plan) ?!

An attorney is helping with all the paperwork for a simple uncontested divorce. In addition to all the forms for filing of the initial petition, they sent me MC-050-Substitution of Attorney. I have not asked to substitute them (we haven't even filed yet)! After asking the attorney about this form, they told me that it gets filed when the case is over. Is this true? The form says it is for replacing the lawyer .... And even if true, why would they ask me to sign it at the beginning of the process? I highly suspect that the lawyer is trying to get rid of me, but I can't understand why as they are being payed (through my legal plan) ?!

The substitution form allows any of the plan attorneys to plead your case.
It doesn't directly affect you, but without it your case could be delayed or even defaulted.
However, if you're ever in doubt about any form your lawyer asks you to sign, ask her.
The horse's mouth knows much more than his anus.

Back