Attorney disappeared~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesnite

My jurisdiction is: Illinois / will county

We had 2 kids together, and been divorced for a few years.She hired an attorney a few months ago taking me to court for an adjustment of child support. There have been continuances and now this friday March 6th 2009 we have another date set. The problem is my atty has disappeared. The last email/contact i recieved from him was 1/12/2009. Doesnt return calls/emails etc. I saw my ex this last thursday She tells me that her attorney also wasnt hearing from him and found out that he had not registered to practise law in the state of il. 2009. She suggested i speak with HER atty to come to an agreement. She also said,,she isnt trying to threaten me BUT ,"i could go to jail now". Of course i wont deal with opposing atty and I do NOT have any money for another retainer and i need representation! The Chicago Bar assoc. told me on the phone that before i can find a pro bono atty,or any atty in fact i have to appear in front of the judge and plead my case. reason being is that my 'atty' is still on record as my rep. What do i do? Is this correct? Can the judge make a decision without me having protection/representation? She and i agreed in the original divorce that she would use my $50,000. of equity in lieu of actual support due to my finacial woes, lost my job at that time. Now there is still over 20k left on record. She has timeshare property, they go on vacations to Myrtle beach/Wis Dells etc. She has had expensive work done on the house they live in this past year. I live from check to check ,just getting by.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back