at witts end

• Thread Starter beyondfrustrated
  • Start date
B

beyondfrustrated

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I lived with at friend's house for two months. She actually wasn't there that often, she had an apartment by the school that is about an hour away from her house. I moved out and she hired a contractor and started doing work 12 days later. She told me that my stuff and her stuff is in a storage unit but she doesn't know where it is. She started dating the contractor and its his storage unit.
She has given me excuse after excuse of why I cant get the rest of my stuff. I have caught her in several lies. I have proof of these lies in texts. I want to take her to court but would like to know if I have a case first.

I want to take her to court but would like to know if I have a case first.

Yes, you have a legal issue.
Your stuff is allegedly in her possession.
You've asked for the stuff, and she seems to be refusing to return it, or stalling for some reason.
If you feel compelled to try and seek justice follow these steps:
1 - Create a list of the items you believe she allegedly has.
2 - Draft a letter demanding that she allow you to come and retrieve your stuff within the the next 10 days, include in that letter a copy of the items (and their value) you believe she is holding
3 - Include a sentence in the letter indicating that if she fails to allow you to retrieve your belongings you will file a small claims lawsuit seeking the value of the items from her
4 - Wait for her to arrange a pickup date, or the 10 days to pass
5 - File a small claims lawsuit in the county where the items were last known to have existed

6 = Coles County Small Claims Court and Forms:
Fifth Judicial Circuit
Free legal information and forms in Coles County

Don't expect miracles, because 85% (or more) of plaintiffs who successfully pursue these types of lawsuits, receive a judgment in their favor, but never collect one dollar of the award.

Why?

You're usually dealing with deadbeats, scammers, con-artists, grifters, and charlatans.

They are very slippery.

Thus, they are extremely hard to catch.

Back