At What Age Can Children Decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmottomeyer

My son, age 12 and my daughter, age 10 would like to know when they are old enough to decide whether or not they want to visit their dad. My husband and I are still in the divorce process. We live in St. Louis County in Missouri. How old do the children need to be. Their father is an alcoholic. The Division of Family Services knows this because they evaluated him. Yet the judge allows unsupervised visitation. My husband live in a one bedroom apartment. The children have no beds, and my husband does not have a couch or chair for the children to seep in. Many times he doesn't even inflate the air mattresses for the children. My children spend every other weekend at their father's apartment. My son says it's like being grounded, only he didn't do anything wrong. What can I do about this situation? I have a full order of protection for myself....but my children have nothing protecting them.

Age of decision varies by state and, from what I have seen, it is usually age 14 or greater.

Does your husband continue to abuse alcohol? How do you know this? If there is an issue, it is always best if this fact is reflected in the record or it is contained in a writing to a case worker. Oral discussions are easily dismissed.

Age of decision varies by state and, from what I have seen, it is usually age 14 or greater.

Does your husband continue to abuse alcohol? How do you know this? If there is an issue, it is always best if this fact is reflected in the record or it is contained in a writing to a case worker. Oral discussions are easily dismissed.

wrong. they can decide not to see dad when they are 18. children do not get to decide they are not going to see the op IF there is a court order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back