Asthetic damage done during shop work

Status
Not open for further replies.

benc

My jurisdiction is: OH, USA

I had my car in for a door modification last august. Long story short: damage was done to my fenders, doors, and headlights totalling $700 last I checked, but I've found more damage since that estimate and haven't been able to take it back due to the car being in storage for the winter. Shortly after discovering that damage, I also discovered that they mounted one of my underbody lights to my gas tank.

Other than having to explain why I waited so long to file, my problem is that this was done by two different companies with the exact same employees; both of which are currently out of business. Am I just SOL on this or can I go after the owner?

Unless you can show why the owners should be held personally liable, they're entitled to rely on the limited liability of the corporation. For $700, it's probably not worth it to try.

He did the work on the car himself, but there really is no way to prove that. I guess I should have paid more attention when he switched companies. I found out later from one of his employees that this is how he makes money; he screws over as many people as he can in as short a time period as he can, and then moves on to start a new company.

Well, if you can prove that in court, you might stand a shot at collecting from him personally. Frankly I suspect it'll cost you a lot more than $700 to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back