Assaulted by a coworker

vanmont

Jurisdiction
Arizona
My 80 year old father was assaulted in the parking lot of the hardware store where he works by a coworker because he parked in this guy's assigned spot. He was knocked to the ground hurting his shoulder and bruising his back and shoulder. We have pictures. The manager refused to do anything and he has to keep working with this guy who had no consequences for his actions. What can be done? What should be done? Is it too late to call the authorities (a week later)?

What can be done?

Thousands of things "can be done," the most obviously of which would be to report the incident to the police. Why didn't your father do this at the time of the incident?

Is it too late to call the authorities (a week later)?

The "authorities" can be called at any time. Needless to say, the willingness of the "authorities" to take action will decrease with the amount of time that passes.

My 80 year old father was assaulted in the parking lot of the hardware store where he works by a coworker because he parked in this guy's assigned spot. He was knocked to the ground hurting his shoulder and bruising his back and shoulder. We have pictures. The manager refused to do anything and he has to keep working with this guy who had no consequences for his actions. What can be done? What should be done? Is it too late to call the authorities (a week later)?
Take your father to the police station so he file a criminal complaint.

I think he is afraid to get fired or make work even more uncomfortable. He doesn't really even want to talk to me about it. He may be embarrassed too

What can be done? What should be done? Is it too late to call the authorities (a week later)?

If you are the VICTIM of any crime, IMMEDIATELY (as soon as you are able) call "911" and report the crime.

Your father can report the crime today, tomorrow or next week.

I hope he can get witnesses and has proof of his injuries, such as hospital bills, medical bills, pictures.

If not, he can tell his story, as he was also the victim of elder abuse (or however it is charged in AZ).

Thanks to all of you! He doesn't want the guy fired and his bosses are finally taking it seriously and are working to find the best way to... punish? reprimand? him.

If the employer isn't going to fire someone (no matter how your father feels about it) for assaulting an 80-year-old man I really don't know what they would fire someone for.

I agree 100%.

I have never known an employer NOT to terminate an employee for committing a battery against another employee.

I am certain there are some, but I have yet to personally know of one.

Back