assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatt101

I hit this kid in the gym/basketball court at a.university MAC because he and 5 other people assaulted my brother the night before. I'm not sure if there were cameras in that area but he called the cops. The university police then contacted me and i told them i have nothing to do with it to which they responded they will contact me in a couple of days. I'm trying to get the victim to drop civil charges. What can i do?

Stay away from the alleged victim.
Do nothing, except shut up.
If you can afford a lawyer, hire one.
Otherwise if arrested, be polite, remain calm, cooperate with the police, give your name, date of birth, address, and make no statements, simply say I want a lawyer.

Talking is never helpful.
Contacting the victim, can lead to very serious charges, beyond the assault. So, stay away from the victim. In all likelihood, the alleged victim could be recording your calls or your visits.

Keep your distance and stop talking.

One more thing, your story about WHY someone hit someone, could be considered retaliation or obstruction. In Texas, that is a felony. As I said, you're
making it worse, please stop.

Certainly your contact after the alleged encounter is walking on very thin ice.

Sec. 36.06. OBSTRUCTION OR RETALIATION. (a) [amended 9/1/97] A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly harms or threatens to harm another by an unlawful act:
(1) in retaliation for or on account of the service or status of another as a:
(A) public servant, witness, prospective witness, or informant; or
(B) person who has reported or who the actor knows intends to report the occurrence of a crime; or
(2) to prevent or delay the service of another as a:
(A) public servant, witness, prospective witness, or informant; or
(B) person who has reported or who the actor knows intends to report the occurrence of a crime.
(b) For purposes of this section, "informant" means a person who has communicated information to the government in connection with any governmental function.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree.
Before 9/1/97 (a) provided:
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly harms or threatens to harm another by an unlawful act:
(1) in retaliation for or on account of the service of another as a public servant, witness, prospective witness, informant, or a person who has reported or who the actor knows intends to report the occurrence of a crime; or
(2) to prevent or delay the service of another as a public servant, witness, prospective witness, informant, or a person who has reported or who the actor knows intends to report the occurrence of a crime.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back