asking for special accommodation for job interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

I have profound hearing loss that even hearing aids do not help much.
I am engineering professional. Currently I am looking for job.
I ask employers (only those employers hiring over the phone and not requiring face to face interview) to do interview using text chat method like Yahoo, AOL or MSN or any text chat program of employer choice. Text chat is the best and 100% reliable way to do interview
no matter where I am. Using TDD or TTY is problematic as operator don't understand technical terms being spoken by the interviewer and mistypes. Also TTY or TDD call quality can be poor or the operator maybe too slow and the long pauses of silence as I wait for the operator to finish typing makes me look awkward.
Also currently I am out of the country which further degrades the call quality.
I am only looking for those position in which the employer is only doing phone interview and not requiring face to face from anybody who is qualified for the job.

Now given above situation, is it reasonable accommodation to request the employer to do interview via text chat?

And if they refuse, are they in violation of ADA law?

From my understanding of ADA, asking the employer to do interview via text chat does not subject the employer to undue or costly hardship as nowadays all the technical personnel have a PC connected to Internet already with at least one chatting program already installed on the PC.

I appreciate your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back