Are my parents extorting money from me and siblings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreHero

As a 21 year old living with his Mom, Stepdad, 2 sisters, 2 stepsisters, 1 brother and 1 stepbrother, things are tough. But with my family, it's a lot worse.

I have recently just moved back in with my Mom. I am broke and working a part-time job. She gave me a place to stay, rent free, saying that she'd help me get back on my feet. All I would need to do is "contribute to the family". At that point, I was made to believe that meant doing chores and helping out around the house.

When I did move in, Mom came back to me again and mentioned that my StepDad would be losing his job at some point. She asked me if I could please help by paying their electric bill when he lost or was close to losing his job.. Understanding the situation, I said yes. That was 3 months ago.

One month after that talk they give me the bill. However, he's been going to work his regular hours with no pay cuts, full-time and getting a very decent paycheck. I ask Mom about this, and she assures me that within a few weeks, he'd be done. They also want the electric payments in cash. They refused to take a check. That was 2 months ago.

Today, he is still working and bringing home the same amount of money and working the same amount of hours. He brought home a new coffee maker for my Mom, a brand new Garbage Disposal Unit and 2 Rockband video games complete with a Guitar, Microphone and drumset.

I then learn that all of my younger siblings, each under the age of 18 and still in school, had money taken out of their accounts (each with the parents names in the accounts) to pay for the parents credit card bills/debt. My sister, 17, had worked hard for her money to go to college, get a car and move out when the time was right. She has now only gotten back to the $1,000 mark in her bank account. She had close to $5,000.

I feel like I'm being used. But I also feel like my siblings are being used too. Is there anything legally I need to know?

As a 21 year old living with his Mom, Stepdad, 2 sisters, 2 stepsisters, 1 brother and 1 stepbrother, things are tough. But with my family, it's a lot worse.

I have recently just moved back in with my Mom. I am broke and working a part-time job. She gave me a place to stay, rent free, saying that she'd help me get back on my feet. All I would need to do is "contribute to the family". At that point, I was made to believe that meant doing chores and helping out around the house.

When I did move in, Mom came back to me again and mentioned that my StepDad would be losing his job at some point. She asked me if I could please help by paying their electric bill when he lost or was close to losing his job.. Understanding the situation, I said yes. That was 3 months ago.

One month after that talk they give me the bill. However, he's been going to work his regular hours with no pay cuts, full-time and getting a very decent paycheck. I ask Mom about this, and she assures me that within a few weeks, he'd be done. They also want the electric payments in cash. They refused to take a check. That was 2 months ago.

Today, he is still working and bringing home the same amount of money and working the same amount of hours. He brought home a new coffee maker for my Mom, a brand new Garbage Disposal Unit and 2 Rockband video games complete with a Guitar, Microphone and drumset.

I then learn that all of my younger siblings, each under the age of 18 and still in school, had money taken out of their accounts (each with the parents names in the accounts) to pay for the parents credit card bills/debt. My sister, 17, had worked hard for her money to go to college, get a car and move out when the time was right. She has now only gotten back to the $1,000 mark in her bank account. She had close to $5,000.

I feel like I'm being used. But I also feel like my siblings are being used too. Is there anything legally I need to know?

Yes, here's a legal tip for you.
MOVE OUT. You're an adult and should be on your own.

Mom and dad are kind to allow you live in THEIR home.
You're 21, and they have no LEGAL obligation to support you.
You can refuse mom's requests for cash.
If you do, she'd have to bring a legal action (an eviction) to get you out.
Mom is not that wise, when it comes to LEGAL matters.

You may not have a lease, but you're legally considered a tenant.
As a tenant, she can't make you leave, once she let you move in and took your money.
Only a judge can order you to leave, after an eviction proceeding has transpired.
Then you'll have a few more days to get out, before the deputies or marshals can LEGALLY remove you.
You can LEGALLY and FREELY reside at mom's house for another 30-60 days, before a judge will order you out.
Start saving your money so you can move, if mom exercises her LEGAL options after she wises up!

Your siblings are minors.
LEGALLY, mom and dad, own everything they have.
They have no LEGAL standing to own or do anything their parents don't permit.
It may be unfair, but its LEGAL.
Minors are LEGALLY INCOMPETENTS and disabled from using the court system.
The 17 year old will soon be a LEGAL adult.
She can LEGALLY leave and take what mom and dad LEGALLY allow her to remove, money included!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back