Medical Malpractice Are doctors supposed to adhere to a book for diagnoses and treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

fugee

Are dermatologists compelled or obliged to follow protocols for diagnosis and treatment as described in the Lippincott Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics With Essentials of Diagnosis ? If not, is there another book they're supposed to adhere to?

Short answer: No. If it was as simple as looking in a book, doctors wouldn't go through 8 years of college.

No. Each case is different & they need to use a lot of their own judgment & expertise also in treating patients......

You said "also" Do you mean also in addition to following the procedures outlined in any relevant book to their profession

That might not have been the best word to use by itself. The books are guidelines but they *can* use their own judgment/expertise in treating patients (also or instead).

I'd go as far as saying that there aren't ANY conditions where the provider must follow a pre-determined order.

(The reason is very simple - every patient is different)

Clarification: there are over 30 recognized "manuals" pertaining to cardiology - whose manual is going to be used? The law certainly doesn't require adherence to any given text.

Last edited:
What if provider failed to follow any of the more than 30 manuals?

I'd go as far as saying that there aren't ANY conditions where the provider must follow a pre-determined order.

(The reason is very simple - every patient is different)

Clarification: there are over 30 recognized "manuals" pertaining to cardiology - whose manual is going to be used? The law certainly doesn't require adherence to any given text.

It wouldn't matter. There is NO law requiring that a provider follow ANY manual.

Is there a specific reason you are asking this question?

(And I haven't even touched on the fact that any medical specialty can have several appropriate - but very different - courses of action)

If I had to guess, I'd guess that fugee was dissatisfied with the results of a course of treatment, did a little googling, has decided in his own mind what the doctor was supposed to do, is convinced that if the doctor had followed this particular manual there would have been different results, and is looking for a means by which he can now sue the doctor.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that fugee was dissatisfied with the results of a course of treatment, did a little googling, has decided in his own mind what the doctor was supposed to do, is convinced that if the doctor had followed this particular manual there would have been different results, and is looking for a means by which he can now sue the doctor.

You're probably correct, as usual, cbg.

So, let's make it easy for fugee.

Fugee, you can sue anyone you choose.
Identify your victim, err, defendant, fill out a few forms, you can sue for a hundred dollars, and in your state up to $5,000 (or $3,000 in town or village courts).

Here, this site (operated by the court system in NY State, explains how you proceed as your own attorney:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/Booklets/SmallClaimsHandbook.pdf

If you believe your damages were greater that $5,000 (or $3,000) depending on where you are thinking of suing in small claims in NY state, hire a lawyer and tell him or her to sue for 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 mega-gazillion-badillion dollars.

Oh I definitely agree. Just wondering what the problem was with the treatment that OP thinks there might be malpractice involved. (what adverse result of doctor's treatment OP had)

OP certainly has the option to sue or to run situation by a lawyer if he/she believes feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back