Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders AR Statutory Rape

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowOfVide

I need some help. My good friend (a 17 yr old girl) was raped by an older boy (18 yrs old) in Arkansas some months back. The evidence collected was 100% conclusive (semen samples on clothes, bruising, rape kit, vaginal bleeding, tissue samples) and the guy actually made bail after the fact. It has now been almost 8 months ago, nothing has happened. It states in the sixth Amendment of the Bill of Rights that the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial. This has not happened. What can I possibly do (besides justice by vigilantism) that can lock this inhumane whore-son away where he belongs and condemn his name to a sex offender watchlist?

You can't do anything.

The right to a speedy trial is for the defendant, not spectators, or alleged victims.

The prosecutor represents the people, who are bringing these charges.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

It is very common for the accused to waive their right to a speedy trial. This is one of the first things done once in court.
I'm assuming this was a forcible rape, not statutory? With this age difference it would not be a crime in many if not most states without some additional circumstances.

Last edited:
It was forcible, excuse my mistake. In Arkansas the legal age for consent is 16. What would be the possible causes for such an extensive lapse in time for the delay of a trial?

ShadowOfVide - you titled your thread AR Statutory Rape.

As mightymoose noted, if this was not a forcible rape, it would not be a crime in some states without additional circumstances. Ar. is one of those states. The Arkansas legal Age of Consent for sexual contact is 16 years old. The age of consent is 16 for a minor (<18) with a major more than 20 years old. Under 18, the younger must not be less than 14, or if so, there is a defense if the minor is not more 4 years younger if above 12, not more 3 years younger if under 12. Sexual intercourse of a major and a minor under 14 is a rape. Also, Arkansas has a close-in-age exemption, also known as a "Romeo and Juliet law", to the legal age of consent. This provision allows partners who are close in age, or both under the Arkansas age of consent, to engage in consensual sex without fear of prosecution under Arkansas age of consent regulations.

ShadowOfVide, sorry about my post above. Your post wasn't there yet when I started mine -- you got yours submitted off first. I see it was a forcible rape.

The accused might have waived his right to a speedy trial. Also, sometimes it takes a while for a case to get through the court system.

Last edited:
You're very welcome.

Also, "generally" a case will go to trial sooner if the accused is in custody than if the accused is free on bail.

I need some help. My good friend (a 17 yr old girl) was raped by an older boy (18 yrs old) in Arkansas some months back. The evidence collected was 100% conclusive (semen samples on clothes, bruising, rape kit, vaginal bleeding, tissue samples) and the guy actually made bail after the fact. It has now been almost 8 months ago, nothing has happened. It states in the sixth Amendment of the Bill of Rights that the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial. This has not happened. What can I possibly do (besides justice by vigilantism) that can lock this inhumane whore-son away where he belongs and condemn his name to a sex offender watchlist?

Despite the difficulty, YOU can not do anything LEGAL. If the victim would like to know her options she should post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back