Any help

S

Snowplowed

Jurisdiction
Utah
I just was released from prison and am trying to get things going with my child support. There was not a court order, but the state OCS was collecting monthly. When I went to prison I was in arrears and for reasons not too clear to me the OCS has closed out my account; effectively zeroing out my debt to them. I still want to pay back what I owe to my ex, but have a couple of questions.
First, how can I send her money and have it legally binding?
Second, for the arrears, is there anyway to modify the amount for being incarcerated with no income or resources? I do not believe she would just agree to it and my fear is that she would get a court order and have me pay more than I can afford.
I am not trying to skip out on my debts, I want to help my daughter and pay back my ex for what I missed, i just don't have money and am struggling with life on parole.

Any help . . .

I still want to pay back what I owe to my ex, but have a couple of questions.
First, how can I send her money and have it legally binding?

You don't ever pay anyone child support until you pay it off of an established court order.

I suggest you NOT send any money until the court order is in effect.

If you send money now, it all will be considered a gift, not child support.

Gifts, of course are okay, as long as know that is how the money will be treated.

Second, for the arrears, is there anyway to modify the amount for being incarcerated with no income or resources?

You say the debt was erased, or somehow disappeared.

That could be a mistake, or there might be other legal reasons for the disappearance.

You need to contact the child support agency and ask to establish paternity, and be put on child support.

You never know, mate, while you were away doing your bit some other dude might have established paternity via DNA testing.

Such an event might have released you from further obligations.

Take this step by step:
establish paternity via genetic testing,
if you are the father, then child support follows.
if you aren't the father, the matter is resolved for you!!!

This is the state agency where you restart the child support fire or get it extinguished:
Frequently asked questions - Paternity
that website will answer many more of your questions.

Any help . . .

I gave you a great deal of help, mate.

I wish you success on your reentry into society.

Please, stay out of legal trouble, so you can stay free.

Just say to yourself "I WILL OBEY ALL OF THEIR SILLY LAWS."

Back