another chance chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

covergirl06

i was working for (grocery store) for 4yrs.i did and applcation of 08/13/2008and started working the next day.no background check or no drug test was done.my 4 yr working there they ask me about a manger postion because of my good work .i never had problem with no one. They decided to do a background check on me because i was moving up in mangerment now.my background check came back i had a theft charge from 4/2007. This is something that happen 7 yrs ago. They firer me in 2012
when backgroynd check was done.but as a regular deli worker i would still be there. now is this right i just would like another chance in life.people make mistakes and learn from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was working for THEM for 4yrs.i did and applcation of 08/13/2008and started working the next day.no background check or no drug test was done.my 4 yr working there they ask me about a manger postion because of my good work .i never had problem with no one. They decided to do a background check on me because i was moving up in mangerment now.my background check came back i had a theft charge from 4/2007. This is something that happen 7 yrs ago. They firer me in 2012
when backgroynd check was done.but as a regular deli worker i would still be there. now is this right i just would like another chance in life.people make mistakes and learn from it.

Employers rarely trust convicted THIEVES.

SORRY, NO CASE.

Last edited:
Agree with army judge, I see no case. Sorry.

I removed name of store from OP's post for OP's protection. I then realized AJ quoted post & I am unable to edit AJ's post.

Covergirl; Your situation is all too common, where adults find that their past continues to haunt them. Some states (and companies) do have a look-back window, which often ends at 7 years. So it's possible the record may not preclude future employment. Theft is however defiantly something that would be a deal-breaker, especially in the retail industry.

A question that occurs to me is whether you disclosed the issue to your employer at the time of hire? You indicate that it predates your employment by roughly a year. Even if the offense had not been a deal-breaker, lying on your application usually is. Full disclosure is the best policy.

Note to fellow HR Pros: I did 3-5 years in the corporate office of a national retail chain (got time off for good behavior). We did BGC at hire and again if the employee was moved to a key-holder/manager position. It always amazed me how much stuff appeared on the 2nd BGC that didn't show up the first time. Some of it was new, but frequently the issue was simply not reported or hadn't been post yet when the first one was done. If the employee had failed to report the new issue, or didn't disclose the old one on their original application, then they were usually exited just as this poster was. It says a lot for doing periodic BGCs.

When I was underwriting life ins. applications, we got background checks (consumer investigate reports by a 3rd party) on certain cases (example- amt. applied for large) & there were times we picked up info that was not reported to us by applicant even though asked about on our ins. application. BCGs do come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back