Annulling my adoption: Best way, cost involved, attornies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

graceB

My now-deceased birth mother was deemed unfit by a judge when I was a child. My [insane] step mom legally adopted me and is now on birth certificate. I'm 22 and want to annul/vacate my adoption and reinstate birth mother as legal mother. State of IL says I need a court order from the county where adoption took place to change the vital record. Also said I might need to file a miscellaneous remedy case and appear in front of a judge. Birth mom can't adopt me because because she's dead. Do I need an attorney? If yes, I'm a poor post-grad college student who can't afford it. Suggestions? Other advice or methods for accomplishing this? It's just paper, but I want my real mom back according to the law.

Why not visit a few attorneys in your county. Most will meet with you gratis for the initial consultation. You'll be able to ask a few questions, get a feel for how such actions are addressed in your area. You can also use the meetings as a way to educate yourself.

You are entitled to represent yourself in any legal matter. That's never at issue. What is at issue is your ability to do so effectively. If you needed brain surgery, you'd never attempt it on yourself, even though you could physically do it. So it is, too, with the law.

Before you get discouraged, investigate, educate, and cogitate. Good luck.

Sorry, you cannot petition the court to assign you a new parent. I hope you can learn to deal with the effects. You can however file to change your name to your birth mothers if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back