an extension of child support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milana

My son's child support case has been closed just a few weeks ago due to his emancipation. However, the child support enforcement unit sent me a letter that I should go to family court to apply for a continuation based on the fact that he's a full time student (junior). I went to the family court when the clerk laughed at me and , untill I insisted, threw a form to fill out (a petition). We divorced in Russia, so there is no agreement on child support there. The child support agreement was legalized here, first in Michigan, then in NYC, where we all are now. So there are no any possible mentioning anywhere about when the child support case has to be closed.I know that there are similar cases where this kind of extension is granted for another 2 years when child is in school.
Although the clerk of the family court took my petition eventually, laughing again, I do understand I can't just drop the whole thing until I get some kind of officail answer which is not up to the clerk to decide. What are my chances?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back