An attempt at Emancipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaticInMyHead

Hi, I am a very soon-to-be 16 year old (4 days, actually), and I have been seriously looking into emancipation. I am new to the concept, and I need to guarantee that my efforts of trying to become emancipated aren't a total loss.
My reasons are these: My parents provide absolutely no emotional support to my life. Anyone that I could possibly go to is cut off by my dad; he won't let me talk to anyone about my issues and problems at this point in life. He threatens me when I do talk to people. Now, it may seem that I am just a regular teen wanting to get away, but what kind of parents is justified in taking away all emotional outlets? Any sadness or depression that I have is just building inside me--I can't escape it. In effect, all potential happiness is taken away because I am not allowed to see the people dearest to me. I can't get away, and my dad is making my life miserable. If I could just get emancipated, I would not have to live with his pressuring personality and actions.
That is all in addition to his drinking habits and his threats. When I talked to someone about my problems, he threatened me by saying he would "kick my butt", to clean up the language a bit. I don't want to live in fear. I don't want to live in depression. Emancipation would fix all of it.
Does anyone have input on this? Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

First off, just so that you know, not all states will emancipate a minor, and of the states that do, not all of them will emancipate a 16 year old. What state are you in?

Secondly, and I am not putting you down, it has been my experience that a great many kids do not fully understand what emancipation means, let alone what it entails. So before I go into the requirements (for which I need your state anyway) why don't you tell me what your plans are, assuming that emancipation is possible in your situation?

I am in the state of Arizona. I know what emancipation entails; I have researched it thoroughly, believe me. Don't take me as a mindless teen that is just yearning to escape parents; I have good reason to propose emancipation.
My plans are to live with a friend (I am not sure that will go as planned because I don't think the court would support me living with someone else). When I have successfully moved in with that friend, I will get a job and earn a stable income. I will attend the nearby school, and continue life as planned and as usual. I am a hard worker: That is how I grew up--working all the time. In no way will I need support from outside influence.
Thank you for your efforts to help me.

As far as I have been able to determine, your state does not have any statute permitting the emancipation of a minor.

As a general rule, a minor must be able to show that they are ALREADY capable of complete self-support. That means that you are correct - no moving in with a friend. It also means that you must have that job BEFORE emancipation is granted.

I don't know of any state that will allow a minor to be emancipated without the consent of their parents.

However, that may be moot because as I say, Arizona does not appear to be amenable to emancipating minors in any case.

Well, from what I have recently heard from you and other sources, as far as I can tell, I am not able to become emancipated in Arizona. But, there are alternate programs I will definitely be looking into. Such programs would include me severing or possibly terminating my parent-child relationship. Also in that case, I would be able to get some financial support from agencies and the government. Youth on Their Own is a program that provides those services. I have not given up, that is for sure. I will try until there is no possibility left for me.

If you can..

Well i was just wondering if you had that site you got all your information from on arizona law on emancipation, and if you could share it.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back