American wishing to divorce German

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckman

I am an American citizen working for the Department of Defense and have resided in Germany for 17 years. I am considering divorcing my German wife of 16 years. We have a 10 y/o child, I make $2,000 per month and she makes EURO 1,200 per month, both after taxes. I contribute to a retiirement fund, but so does she. We do not own land or a house. I wish to ask for a divorce (nothing noteworthy, just no longer compatable). How complicated and painful ($$) will this be?

NOTE: I will need to return to the U.S. in two years. Would it be more adventageous to wait until then?

Where were you married?

If you were married in Germany by German law then you probably need to get a German divorce. If you came to America and got an American marriage then you would probably have to get an American divorce. Contact the American Consulate in your area and they may be able to better answer your questions or tell you who you should contact to find out that information. Also, you may have to pay German child support according to German law regardless of where you were married as your wife is a German citizen and probably your child (?) is too; unless you filed some kind of paperwork that states your child was an american citizen born abroad? You need an attorney who knows international law for sure.

German legal help

Hi. If you are still looking to organize a divroce, I would be happy to help you do so. My fees are extremely reasonable, and in fact lower than what you would be required to pay in Germany under their set pay rates. If you would like to discuss the matter further, feel free to email me directly at csb@germanlegalservices.com. Sincerely, Carolin Schulz-Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back