American/German divorce and custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aathree

Hello, I am a German citizen with permanent resident in Texas and my husband is American. After 5 years of unhappy marriage I wanna divorce him. I just fear if I divorce him here in Texas he will get custody over the children. I would love to move back to Germany with our kids so that they can bond with my side of the family and get a bigger cultural intake from Europe. I would put them in a German-American school in Germany and I also would have no problem with sending them over summer each year. What are my chances with the court in Texas? Or is it better to divorce in Germany?

Germany has certain advantages, in your situation, OP.

But, it has a few disadvantages.

I still vote Germany.

Hello, I am a German citizen with permanent resident in Texas and my husband is American. After 5 years of unhappy marriage I wanna divorce him. I just fear if I divorce him here in Texas he will get custody over the children. I would love to move back to Germany with our kids so that they can bond with my side of the family and get a bigger cultural intake from Europe. I would put them in a German-American school in Germany and I also would have no problem with sending them over summer each year. What are my chances with the court in Texas? Or is it better to divorce in Germany?

It is not likely at all that you'd get permission to relocate the children outside of the US.

Do NOT take the children there without permission from either the court or Dad.

One quick question - are you working? If so, for how long have you been working?

Edit: Did he sponsor you using the I-864 affidavit of support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back