Amazon

Angela922

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My niece was fired from Amazon where she worked in the warehouse. after work she was backing out of a parking space and tapped another employee walking by. She stated that she got out of the car and the employee just kept walking didn't stop so she went and filed a police report and in the end Amazon fired her even though it was after hours and in the parking lot to go home. She asked to view the video and they refused to show her and they tried to say that she never got out the car when she did. Are these grounds for being terminated by having an accident.

Because it was an accident for one. After hours for two and not in the facility.

I suggest you advise your relative to discuss the alleged contact her vehicle may have made with a pedestrian.

Why?

The next shoe might drop, and she should be prepared.

What shoe?

If the pedestrian suddenly claims he was injured when she hit him.

To her credit she did file a police report contemporaneous with the alleged incident.

If someone, or a dozen someones claim she injured them, the police report might be of great value to her.

You never know what people will do and say these days.

As far as being terminated, it couldn't hurt her to file an unemployment claim while she pursues her new job opportunities.

they tried to say that she never got out the car

Who are "they," and what does "tried to say" mean?

Are these grounds for being terminated by having an accident.

Most employment in the U.S. is "at will," which means the employee can quit at any time for any reason and the employer can fire the employee at any time for any reason other than a handful of things that are expressly illegal (e.g., discrimination based on race, gender, religion, etc., retaliation for exercising a legal right, etc.). It is certainly not illegal for an employer to fire an employee who was involved in a vehicle-pedestrian accident with another employee (regardless of any of the specifics of the accident).

She hit a fellow employee in the parking lot. Why would you think she could not be fired for doing so?

Because it was an accident for one. After hours for two and not in the facility.

None of that is legally relevant.

In every state except Montana, and sometimes in Montana as well, you can be fired because the day of the week ends in Y. The fact that it was an accident is irrelevant; the fact that it was after hours is irrelevant. Whether you or I or anyone else here thinks it is "grounds" to fire her is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is that it is legal to fire her for it.

It makes no difference if it was an accident or not. It also doesn't matter if it happened while she was off the clock. You also may not have the full story, and in fact, I would bet you don't. They do not have to turn over security footage. I'm not sure why you think that would matter as she admits to hitting the coworker with her car.

Back