Am I obligated

Regianld j

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
Do I suppose to be paying child support, even though my kids are not staying with there custodial parent, and that there custodial parent don't even have a place to stay herself,and the kids are staying with me.

Yep, as long as the current child support orders you to pay, then you must pay until/if you can get it changed through the court.

Agree. You continue paying until the court says otherwise.
There is a process you may begin order to seek a change which typically requires a significant change of circumstances. It sounds like you might have a legitimate one. look in to it.

Do I suppose to be paying child support, even though my kids are not staying with there custodial parent, and that there custodial parent don't even have a place to stay herself,and the kids are staying with me.

Yes, as the others suggested keep the support obligation current.
The good news what you've cited csn be considered a change in circumstances.

Your state's HHS put out a pamphlet instructing you how to go about getting a hearing before a judge to make your case.

It's not that hard, and you won't need a lawyer.
You'll need to study, so here goes, mate:

This is for your area, 9th Judicial District Court, as in Alexandria:

9th JDC Legal Self-Help Center

https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/programs/css/la_cs_order.pdf

Baton Rouge has instructions for East Batin Rouge Paish, too:

http://www.familycourt.org/main/uploads/File/Instructions- Modify Child Support.pdf

Yes, you don't want to disobey a court order. As noted, you need to go to court to get the child support order changed.

You need to go to court to have support order changed
I haven't talked to anyone about this yet, I really didn't know how to push the issue, but she quit her job, has no home, and my kids are living between me and my mother because of work, so would it be easier to file for custody?

l

Let's say I got the support order changed, would they reimburse me or is that just money lost?

Reimburse you, as get money back for the dates you paid the mother when she wasn't supporting the child?

No, the court won't give you back anything.

However, you might be able to go after the mother for some of that money.

That, however, isn't realistic is it?

She's living pillar to post, trying to survive on the kindness of friends, relatives, and strangers.

Don't you think it's highly unlikely a deadbeat is so broke that she'd have trouble getting five bucks, much less hundreds of bucks to repay you?

I do.

Nothing is gong to happen as long as you do nothing.

We've given you some things to consider, some actions that might be available to you.

Now you need to get busy doing something besides asking questions.

I suggest you start by seeking a modification in custody and child support.

You should also talk to a couple of LA licensed attorneys.

Back