Am I legally responsible for a troubled step shild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstengrim

I live in washington state and have a 16 year old stepson who is out of control and a drug user. He tells me he has no respect for me and wants nothing to do with me.
I have told my wife that I'm done trying to help him and that he is no longer my problem. She tells me that since we are married that I am legally responsible for him and cant turn my back on him. Is she correct? I have been told in the past that since I'm the step dad that I am not legally responsible for him. Basically the path he is on is leading him to legal trouble and I just want to know what my legal obligations are.

I live in washington state and have a 16 year old stepson who is out of control and a drug user. He tells me he has no respect for me and wants nothing to do with me.
I have told my wife that I'm done trying to help him and that he is no longer my problem. She tells me that since we are married that I am legally responsible for him and cant turn my back on him. Is she correct? I have been told in the past that since I'm the step dad that I am not legally responsible for him. Basically the path he is on is leading him to legal trouble and I just want to know what my legal obligations are.

I suggest you consult with an attorney in Washington state for a specific answer to your dilemma.

Generally speaking you possess a vicarious liability pursuant to your marriage.

Your wife is somewhat on point.

Her response to you is somewhat odd.

However, I am not now, nor have I ever been a marriage counselor.

She must recognize that her flippant and snide comment to you could cause you to end the marriage.

If you ended the marriage, your vicarious liability to her demon child would end.

Suffice it to say, she holds an obligation to support her son.

If her son is incorrigible, you and she can ask a court to relieve you of that obligation.

A court can adjudicate the child to be delinquent and incarcerate his little derriere for appropriate rehabilitation.

If you decide to consult with an attorney for specific guidance (which I suggest you do), please ask your wife to accompany you.

She needs to be disabused of her erroneous belief about your specific liability for her demon son!

If she wants to insist that you have responsibility then you also have the ability to put him into counseling or even a disciplinary boot camp. Both will cost you though.

Where is the other parent?

What is the legal custody situation?

There's a reason why I'm asking.

Where is the other parent?

What is the legal custody situation?

There's a reason why I'm asking.

The biological dad isn't in the picture. He claims that the kid isn't his and has never seen him. This is why she has always pampered him as he was growing up but now he wants nothing to do with her either.

As for rehab, I found out that in wAshington state you cannot force a child over 13 into rehab. It has to be volunteer which he won't do.

You can divorce her and hit two birds with one stone!!

Get out now, before these two leeches bankrupt you!!!

She's in some sort of freaky love with her son.

You didn't create this mess or the little criminal.

Save yourself.

The biological dad isn't in the picture. He claims that the kid isn't his and has never seen him. This is why she has always pampered him as he was growing up but now he wants nothing to do with her either.

As for rehab, I found out that in wAshington state you cannot force a child over 13 into rehab. It has to be volunteer which he won't do.

I'm not entirely sure you got that right, OP - I also live in WA, btw.

It's a lot to wade through, but Mom can actually have junior committed for at least 12 hours - without his consent - to be evaluated.

read through all of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back