Am I Just Out of Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemovedon

My husband came home a few weeks ago, told me he was divorcing me and asked me to have my things packed that evening. I refused, so the next day, he packed his things and left. We have only been married for a year and a half and we don't have any children together. He has already filed for divorce. My question is, because I stayed at home, he was the sole support for us, do I have the right to ask for temporary support until I can get re-established and is there any real expectation for that to be granted? Any help is welcomed. I definitely cannot afford an attorney!

I don't honestly think you stand a chance at getting even temporary support - unless you're disabled and actually unable to work.

Texas is ...somewhat "frugal" when it comes to support awards and there's a cap even when it does get awarded.

What did you do before you got married?

I worked, but I lived in another city. I moved here when we got married. He was already established on his job and so it was more feasible for him to stay employed. We had only one vehicle and the city that we live in does not have public transportation. I am not unable, nor unwilling to work, it's just what we decided was best in our current situation. I will probably move back to where I'm from, but even that will require finances which he has completely cut me off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back