Am I entitled to the asset appreciation if only my spouse's name is on the deed for our house?

jeepski

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My spouse and I have only been married for a few years. She built the house that we currently live in over 10 years ago, so it is only her name on the deed/mortgage. However, I have been paying half of the mortgage, taxes, and improvements since our marriage; I have documentation to support this. If we are to divorce, am I entitled to half of any appreciation due to reduction of the mortgage principal, or payment for improvements and subsequent asset appreciation?

If you divorce, your marital and non-marital assets will most likely be divided according to a settlement agreement that you and your wife reach. If you are unable to reach an agreement, the court will divide your marital assets in a manner that it deems to be equitable according to a number of factors.

The home that your wife owned before the marriage will likely be deemed to be non-marital property, but you probably have a marital interest in not. That may result in you being entitled to a share of any appreciation in equity during the marriage.

Consult with a local divorce attorney.

I don't believe anyone here is very familiar with PA divorce laws. You need to sit down with a divorce attorney in your area to get actual advice.

You say "if we are to divorce"? Why? Is this question totally out of left field or have you actually been thinking about going ahead with a divorce?

Back