Am I entitled to a copy of the reaons for my termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginaleed

I was recently fired from my job. The owner had a list of reasons of why. I asked for a copy, & he says he does not need to give me a copy of the reasons of my termination. I did not sign anything. Is it lawful for him to not give me a copy of these reasons. He tells me they are his "notes". They are in my employee file.

An employer doesn't need to recite any reason for your termination.
It works two ways, though.
If you wanted to quit, you don't even have to say you quit.
You can simply disappear.
I suggest you apply for UI, if you wish.
Otherwise, you have no case.

You're entitled to view certain records, but they're not compelled to give you a copy under PA law.

Additionally, your employer is not, by law, required to even TELL you the reasons for your termination. He can quite legally say, Ginaleed, your services are no longer required, there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out, and let you wonder why.

Here is a link to an article written by a Pa. law firm re the Personnel File Act of Pa. It is for educational/informational purposes only - I'm not giving legal advice.

http://www.wolfbaldwin.com/Articles/Employee-Rights-under-the-Personnel-Files-Act.shtml
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Even though you weren't given a reason for your termination - if you file a claim for unemployment compensation, your former employer will need to respond to your claim. Eventually, your employer's response will be translated into a document that your local unemployment insurance office gives you, and it should indicate why you lost your job. (though it may be a "very" vague statement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back