Am I a bigamist

Status
Not open for further replies.

inapickle47

In 1998 I paid a lawyer for my divorce since my husband was living in Fla. I was told that it would be listed in the paper for 30 days and if he didn't responed in the alloted time my divorce would be final. During that time my father commited suicde and I was taking care of my Momand didn't think about it. I hadn't recieved my papers so I called the lawyer his secertarysaid yes I was and my papers would be mailed. My Mom got worse and I didn't think about anymore. My husband now surprised me with a curise asked me to wed I said yes then he told me he had set it up to have the ceremonyon the ship so therefore I thought that my divorce decree was posted on the books and it was fine. 2007 my ex-husband called from Fla and said that he needed the divorce paper and I told him they were registered in Macon,:blush weeks later he in formed me that there was no record of them and the lawyer I had used was in jail for defrauding his clients and we were not the only couple this had happened to. He said that he would file for the divorce and would call me back. Never heard from him again. What can I do? Thank you for taking your time

Your not in legal trouble but your current marriage is not valid either. You should seek out a Lawyer (I know this leaves sour taste in your mouth) to help you with correcting this matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back