Allowing teens to smoke at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom3

I have teenagers 15 1/2 & 17. I found out they both smoke cigarettes and I do not want them getting MIP charges so I decided to allow them to smoke very modestly at home in hopes to deter smoking away from home where they may get in trouble. Can I, as their parent, get in any trouble with the law or child protective services by allowing them to do this? I live in Texas if that matters?

I suppose an overactive child protection bureaucrat may be able to do something.

But I cannot see into the future.

By allowing them to smoke in your home, you are condoning their actions.

I would suggest taking a trip to the coroners office to show them an actual smokers lung. That should do the trick. This is coming from a 20+ year addicted smoker who originally smoked to be "COOL" and didn't inhale.

By allowing them to smoke in your home, you are condoning their actions.

I would suggest taking a trip to the coroners office to show them an actual smokers lung. That should do the trick. This is coming from a 20+ year addicted smoker who originally smoked to be "COOL" and didn't inhale.
My two neices one is 13 and the other is 17 and they both smoke and I allow them to smoke in the house because I do not want them out on the streets smoking where they are likely to get ticketed.

That being said. My daughter is 15 and I know she doesn't smoke but has tried a cigarette as they all do. I asked her what she thought after I went in my bedroom closed the door and punched the crap out of my pillow instead of over reacting and yelling at her which would have just encouraged her to be a spaz and go get a pack of smokes just to spite me. I would have no choice but to allow my child to smoke in the house if she persisted in smoking god forbid (also a 22 year smoking addict) because I would appear to be a hypocrit if I pointed at her with a lit cigarrette and said DON'T YOU DARE SMOKE OR I WILL KICK YOU WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YOU! That's just "retarded" as my daughter would say.

I don't know that anyone from social services or anywhere else is going to rush over and jump you for allowing your children to smoke in your home afterall it is your private residence. It would be the first I would have heard of it happening anyway.

Now that being said I certainly wouldn't be buying their smokes for them! THAT would definately be a totally different can of worms for you if you were caught buying cigarrettes for a minor. NOT GOOD!

My two neices one is 13 and the other is 17 and they both smoke and I allow them to smoke in the house because I do not want them out on the streets smoking where they are likely to get ticketed.
That attitude can result in your going to jail and the kids getting taken away.

I know it is a novel idea, but how about telling them, "No."

Will you allow them to drink and have sex under your roof, too? Do their parents appreciate your support of their delinquency?

which would have just encouraged her to be a spaz and go get a pack of smokes just to spite me.
I have found that holding a hard line does tend to work ... try it, you might be surprised. My kids know what will happen to them if I catch them smoking, so their doing it to "spite" me would be pointless.

I would have no choice but to allow my child to smoke in the house if she persisted in smoking god forbid (also a 22 year smoking addict) because I would appear to be a hypocrit if I pointed at her with a lit cigarrette and said DON'T YOU DARE SMOKE OR I WILL KICK YOU WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YOU! That's just "retarded" as my daughter would say.
Yes, but you are an adult, they are not. You are allowing them to commit a crime and are committing on yourself by allowing them to smoke. Will you also allow them to have sex? Drink? Drive? There are many things that YOU can do because of your age. Age DOES have its privilege.

Failure to uphold the law and impart values of right and wrong, and showing them that even you have no respect for the law and their health is what is "retarded."

I don't know that anyone from social services or anywhere else is going to rush over and jump you for allowing your children to smoke in your home afterall it is your private residence. It would be the first I would have heard of it happening anyway.
If they are contacted about this as being an ongoing problem, the police or CPS COULD get involved ... I HAVE heard of it happening - been there, done that.

Now that being said I certainly wouldn't be buying their smokes for them! THAT would definitely be a totally different can of worms for you if you were caught buying cigarrettes for a minor. NOT GOOD!
There is no real difference between allowing them to do it and purchasing the cigs. Not making the purchase is just one less crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back