Allowing my son to be next of kin prior to a final divorce

johncut

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I would like to transfer the "next of kin" rights from my wife to my son, in the event of my death or accident, since we are in the process of filing for divorce as I do not expect she would respect my wishes regarding final arrangements, etc. I don't mean property ownership, etc, only things relative to pulling the plug, claiming the body, things like that. I know, morbid. I don't care about any of the material stuff. Thank you.

I would like to transfer the "next of kin" rights from my wife to my son, in the event of my death or accident, since we are in the process of filing for divorce as I do not expect she would respect my wishes regarding final arrangements, etc. I don't mean property ownership, etc, only things relative to pulling the plug, claiming the body, things like that. I know, morbid. I don't care about any of the material stuff. Thank you.

Research the following: Pennsylvania Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.

It might also be called Pennsylvania Advance Directive for Health Care.

I would like to transfer the "next of kin" rights from my wife to my son,

Has your son achieved the status of majority?

If he is not an adult, I suggest you discuss your wishes with your divorce attorney.

If you don't wish to do that, you could create a will, which would also address how your remains must be handled upon your demise.

It's worth pointing out that you didn't ask a question.

I would like to transfer the "next of kin" rights from my wife to my son, in the event of my death or accident, since we are in the process of filing for divorce as I do not expect she would respect my wishes regarding final arrangements, etc. I don't mean property ownership, etc, only things relative to pulling the plug, claiming the body, things like that.

You should consult with a local attorney about creating a power of attorney for medical decisions (sometimes called a "living will"), or you could try and do it yourself.

You should consult with a local attorney about creating a power of attorney for medical decisions (sometimes called a "living will"), or you could try and do it yourself.
You mean the very instruments that I gave the Pennsylvania-specific titles for? ;)

Back