Alimony after 24 years

Issyrose12

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
My husband and I have been together for 24 Years.He is a colonel in the US Army. We have two daughters together. I was a stay home mom for 20 years. I helped put him through college. I helped invest in our retirement together. He started cheating on me a few years ago. We tried to work it out after I found out. However he just kept lying. He is now stationed in Hawaii and lives with the woman he cheated on you with. This was very devastating to me. I'm currently in New Hampshire. My mom had been diagnosed with cancer so I flew home. I feel as though he should pay me a decent alimony for all my pain and suffering. He has a masters degree and he's a successful colonel. I raised our children while he deployed. Now it's impossible for me to find work. Because I have no work experience and references. I just really need help. I don't think that he's gonna want to negotiate with me. However I don't have the money to pay for a lawyer. I feel like him and her hurt me more than anyone on this earth. I feel they should have some consequences for their actions.All I Did was love and support him.Hawaii is a no fault state adultery isn't even considered..

My husband and I have been together for 24 Years.He is a colonel in the US Army. We have two daughters together. I was a stay home mom for 20 years. I helped put him through college. I helped invest in our retirement together. He started cheating on me a few years ago. We tried to work it out after I found out. However he just kept lying. He is now stationed in Hawaii and lives with the woman he cheated on you with. This was very devastating to me. I'm currently in New Hampshire. My mom had been diagnosed with cancer so I flew home. I feel as though he should pay me a decent alimony for all my pain and suffering. He has a masters degree and he's a successful colonel. I raised our children while he deployed. Now it's impossible for me to find work. Because I have no work experience and references. I just really need help. I don't think that he's gonna want to negotiate with me. However I don't have the money to pay for a lawyer. I feel like him and her hurt me more than anyone on this earth. I feel they should have some consequences for their actions.All I Did was love and support him.Hawaii is a no fault state adultery isn't even considered..

File for divorce, you'll receive 1/2 of his retirement pay, that's about $4,500 a month for you.

Talk to a lawyer, the lawyer in NH will get paid by your cheating husband.
Don't worry about how, the lawyer will make it happen.
You don't need a reason to get a divorce, this is 2018, the world has changed.

See the lawyer Monday, he or she will tell you all about the divorce.

You're his wife, the Army will make sure you get support money, it's the law.

Again, hire a lawyer, it'll happen,

Good luck.

I'm not sure what your question is, but you'll definitely be entitled to alimony after such a long term marriage. I also agree with the substance of the prior response.

Hawaii is a no fault state adultery isn't even considered.

To say that "Hawaii is a no fault state" simply means that a spouse doesn't have to prove some ground in order to obtain a divorce. It means you can get a divorce just for the asking. It doesn't mean adultery isn't relevant to anything. Moreover, you apparently live in New Hampshire, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't file in NH. Both NH and Hawaii are "equitable division" states, which means that marital assets are divided in a manner that the court deems equitable, with 50/50 being presumed to be equitable. Your husband's adultery may well factor into the division of assets, as well as the alimony issue.

Back