Age of consent

?

Jurisdiction
Washington
Does age of consent go for dating also or is it just sex?

I suspect what you are looking for is the age at which a teenager can say to Mom and Dad, "I don't have to what you say; I can see/date/have sex with anyone I want and there's not a darned thing you can do about it" and make it stick.

That age is 18 in most states and 19 in a few. It has nothing at all to do with the age of consent.

If you are an adult and involved with a minor the consent issue is in regard to sexual activity, however there are other laws such as contributing to delinquency of a minor that can still get you in trouble even if there is no evidence of sex. Best to stay away.

Or to put it another way, the law does not take a position on who can go to the basketball game or the school dance together; who can hang out at the mall together or go grab a burger at the local Mickey D's. As long as the parents of the minor(s) are okay with it, the law is good with it. But the parents of the minor(s) can make the legal illegal - the parents can say, No, you can't go out with him even if you treat each other as brother and sister, and the law will back up Mom and Dad.

And once the subject of sexual activity comes up (which is NOT limited to intercourse), yes, that's when the law gets involved.

I'm just a dumb clown.
I wonder why adults, even 18 or 19 year old adults would desire to "pal" around or "romp" around with teenagers or pre-pubescent minors?
I wonder about so many things.
Being a dumb clown, sometimes people call me jacka**, even.

There are no laws that define or restrict "dating" its when sex or sexual activity (does not have to be physical) occurs that the law applies

For all we know the OP is a teenager too, or could also be the underage minor.
The closer the age difference the less the law cares about what they do.

Back