After 15 yrs?

can a collector come after me after 15 yrs of never being contacted ? Section 12-164

Yes, collectors (old debt scavengers) will TRY to scare money out of their targets by any means necessary. Be smart, never discuss any debt with the scavenger, unless you desire to be hounded and harassed.

An exact answer depends on asking you many questions related to the debt.

The statute of limitations on debts GENERALLY in CT says the following:

Written contact, or on a simple or implied contract: 6 years, (CGS 52-576)

Oral contract, including any agreement wherein the party being charged has not signed a note or memorandum: 3 years, (CGS § 52- 581)

Again, details matter, such as to whom the debt is allegedly owed, for what LAWFUL purpose was the debt obtained, if the debt was acquired for an UNLAWFUL purpose (ie: buying illegal narcotics, paying for the services of a hitman, etc... would make using the court system to collect the debt impossible for the "creditor").

Good luck.

Yes, collectors (old debt scavengers) will TRY to scare money out of their targets by any means necessary. Be smart, never discuss any debt with the scavenger, unless you desire to be hounded and harassed.

An exact answer depends on asking you many questions related to the debt.

The statute of limitations on debts GENERALLY in CT says the following:

Written contact, or on a simple or implied contract: 6 years, (CGS 52-576)

Oral contract, including any agreement wherein the party being charged has not signed a note or memorandum: 3 years, (CGS § 52- 581)

Again, details matter, such as to whom the debt is allegedly owed, for what LAWFUL purpose was the debt obtained, if the debt was acquired for an UNLAWFUL purpose (ie: buying illegal narcotics, paying for the services of a hitman, etc... would make using the court system to collect the debt impossible for the "creditor").

Good luck.
According to the letter i received 15 yrs later its for Conn municipal property tax

According to the letter i received 15 yrs later its for Conn municipal property tax

That's what I thought.

As I suggested, use any internet search engine to see hundreds of discussions on the topic and many proposed solutions.

You must, of course, VET each solution and use your wisdom to discern if one is right for you.

You can also use Missouri's FREE legal service to ask THREE questions annually by lawyers licensed by the Missouri State Bar:

Free Legal Help
Missouri

Other Free Legal Help Resources
Missouri

Did you look at the CT Gen Stat § 12-164 (2013) law? It is talking about taxes. I'm just not sure if it is talking about the OP's particular taxes.

I don't need to ;) I was just pointing it out/reminding the OP about this fact.

Ill look that up now. this letter is saying they can put a warrant on me, size an sell my property, garnish pay etc

If you were in Connecticut, the city collecting the tax would have a lot more power to collect from you by doing the sorts of things indicated in that letter. But to reach your assets/income in Missouri the city will have to first sue you for a judgment on the tax and then domesticate that judgment in Missouri.

How much does the letter say you owe?

can a collector come after me after 15 yrs of never being contacted ? Section 12-164

Of course it can happen, so I assume your intent was to ask about legality.

Define "come after."

What is the nature of the debt? Your post #6 in this thread suggests it's "municipal tax debt." Correct? If so, what exactly does that mean? Property tax?

I further assume that, at the time the debt was incurred, you lived in CT. Correct?

Do you dispute the debt? If so, on what basis or bases do you dispute it? If you don't dispute it, why didn't you pay it when it became due?

Did the creditor ever sue you and obtain a judgment for the debt?

Also in your post #6, you said that you received a letter. Who sent the letter? The creditor to whom you (allegedly) owe the money? A collection agency? A lawyer representing a client? If it was a lawyer, who is the client?

Come after, meaning demand money.
Property tax for a car i owned.
Yes i lived in CT for 3 months.
I didnt dispute the debt as I was never informed of any debt, an I am just receiving this letter from a collection agency 15 yrs later.
I got the letter from a collection agency.

Come after, meaning demand money.

Ok, then, you asked, "can a collector come after me after 15 yrs of never being contacted ?" Substituting "demand money" for "come after me," the answer is obviously yes. Anyone can demand anything from anyone. I can demand money from Pope Francis based on an unpaid poker debt owed by Jesus to John the Baptist.

If you left the state, then the statute of limitations in CT is tolled, but that's not going to stop folks from bothering you about payment of the debt. Since it is a third-party debt collector who has contacted you, I suggest you do some reading about the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and avail yourself of its remedies.

I suggest you do some reading about the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and avail yourself of its remedies.
I'd just like to point out that, since this is a tax debt, the FDCPA may not apply the same as it would for consumer debts (if at all).

I'd just like to point out that, since this is a tax debt, the FDCPA may not apply the same as it would for consumer debts (if at all).

If the debt collector meets the definition in section 803 of the FDCPA (15 U.S.C. section 1692a), then it doesn't matter that the underlying debt is a state tax debt (unless there's some case out there in which a court held that the FDCPA can't constitutionally be applied to debt collectors who are collecting state tax debts, which I seriously doubt).

If the debt collector meets the definition in section 803 of the FDCPA (15 U.S.C. section 1692a), then it doesn't matter that the underlying debt is a state tax debt (unless there's some case out there in which a court held that the FDCPA can't constitutionally be applied to debt collectors who are collecting state tax debts, which I seriously doubt).
No argument from me ;)

Back