Afraid of Eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostinMe

My husband informed me recently, via phone no less, that he wants nothing more to do with me. He won't give me a reason. We tried to discuss the situation, or at least I talked, and I told him my terms for granting him a divorce. Spousal support even if I need it to be court ordered. I said I would need time 6-12 months to save money for a place of my own. I only work part-time now due to lack of work. He verbally agreed I could stay here as long as it took, and even agreed to pay part of my expenses. Yet when I asked him to sign a written statement of this he refused. I can prove this. Now since I said this to him, he has cut off all communication with me. I'm worried he will throw me out or retaliate against me in some way to get me to leave on my own. Actually, he already is. Tonight I came home to no heat in our home. We've run the furnace from a container of fuel the past 2 winters because he's too lazy to replace the fuel line from our outdoor tank. We were out of fuel. I called and left him a message if he could come get the container to buy some and said I'd even pay for it, since it would be too heavy for me to lift and carry. It took him 4 hours to do so. It's in the mid 30's here tonight. He takes full responsibility and pays all the bills and everything is in his name alone. What rights would I have and does he have any right to put me out of the home. Been married just under two years and I still live here. Can anyone please advise what to do? Thanks

since you know your husband wanta a divorce, you need to start preparing yourself. He cannot just throw you out but he can file for divorce and file for eviction. Time to start working full time or find another part time job. Spousal support is unlikely given you have been married such a short time. You can go on craigslist and maybe try to find a roommate? I know this is tough but it seems like divorce is inevitable and you need to be prepared.

A few people who I have spoken with seem to agree he can't just throw me out since we are legally married still. I know a divorce is inevitable, but he's the one who needs to do it. I guess what bothers me most right now is the not communicating and being able to determine who will get what in a fair and civil manner. I'm truely hoping he doesn't force my hand where as we need lawyers or something to make these decisions. But thanks anyway for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back