afraid for my job

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnicole00

I am a department head at my place of work. I was talking to someone in another department( let's call her Sara) regarding a position they had open. I ask them if they had anyone in mind for the job. Sara told me that they liked someone((let's call her Amy) but when they spoke with her supervisor they told them that Amy is not a good fit for the job. They also said that they were questioning Amy's medication pass and it was under investigation. Amy is a great employee. She give 150% and always works doubled and picks up shifts. Sara says if they are questioning whether or not she is passing her medications to the residents she wouldn't be here. I agreed. I believed that Amy's supervisors was making this up so Amy wouldn't have the chance to advance. I believe that Amy's supervisor does not want Amy in that position because we would be short a nurse on the floor and Amy always picks up shifts and works doubles. If Amy is under investation for her med pass why isn't anyone watching her or why is she scheduled for doubles all this week?

So I went to Amy and told her that I had heard this. She said she knew nothing about it. She went to her supervisor and asked if this was true. Her supervisor said it was not true. Her supervisor is saying that she never said that. Her supervisor said that I just like to run my mouth. Now her supervisor is going around collecting statements about me because Amy is upset.

I took Amy, Sara and Human Resources into their office and explained that the reason I asked is because I felt Amy was wrongfully being held back for a position because of her supervisors lies. Sara confirmed what her supervisor said about her. Human Resources said that if she were under investigation she would know and this was the first time she had heard of it.

My question is was I wrong in doing this. Before I left for work I overheard Amy's supervisor say, "What until Monday. Something big is going to happen. Someone is in alot of trouble and it's going to teach everyone a lesson." Then she told them to stay away from me and the gossip.

This isn't the first time this supervisor has been cuaght lying for her own benefit. The thing is people are getting hurt along the way. Im afraid to go to work Monday.

YES, you were wrong for doing what you did. It was absolutely none of your business to get involved. Whether Amy is promoted or not is not your concern unless she reports directly to you. You've got no business meddling in the affairs of another department. Amy had not been refused the promotion yet. By passing on the gossip you could have made it harder for her to GET promoted, all in the name of "helping". It MIGHT have been appropriate to go QUIETLY to HR and pass on what you had heard. It was NOT appropriate to tell Amy what was happening.

Sara was wrong too. Sara should NEVER have given you any information about what was said about the investigation.

If it were me, I'd fire both you and Sara.

more info

I am one of Amy's supervisor. She does report things to me. Also Sara told me that Amy was not getting promoted. Her supervisor was posted it on the outside. And she did.

What would you fire us for exactly?

Last edited:
Inappropriate spreading of information.

If you are one of Amy's supervisors, then it was less inappropriate than I thought for Sara to be discussing Amy with you. Change my response to firing you and possibly putting Sara on warning.

As I said, it would not have been inappropriate for you to take your concerns to HR. Taking them to Amy was COMPLETELY out of line.

also

The information was false. It was not true. Amy's supervisor denies she ever said it in the first place. It was made up by Amy's supervisor. Is she in the clear? I was wrong but was she?

Of course it was wrong to give you incorrect information. But her being wrong as well does not mitigate your fault.

I did not realize that someone could get fired for telling someone else something they heard about them. It happens all the time.

You can be fired for anything that is not expressly prohibited by law.

Im still a little confused. All I said to Amy was "Can I ask you a personal question?" She said yes. I said "I hear you were being investigation. Are you? She said no. That was it. We were sitting together smoking on our break.

And what was the purpose of that? How did that help the situation? All it did was stir things up, got Amy upset, got the other supervisor defensive, and generally caused a big mess.

I say again, if you thought Amy was being wrongfully accused, the correct cause of action was not to stir the pot by bringing Amy directly into it, but to take your concerns to HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back