Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyhelp

I have a 15 year old that has lived with me since I left his father at the age of 1 1/2 years old. We went through a divorce and I agreed to deviate from the rate the State allowed to accept 50.00 a week. Approx. 2 months ago we went to court because my son wanted to live with his dad to experience life with him. I agreed and accepted to have my son live with his dad. When agreeing i did not realize the motives of my ex husband. I have volunteered to pay 50.00 a week also and pay for half of the braces of our son. I just received court papers that he now wants 17% of my income. Our visitation has not changed and I also still as I should do more for my son - while paying for support. In our original decree, it stated that he would cover health care - which he did not for 13 years. I covered those costs and also paid for child care by myself without assistance from his father for years. Do I have any rights ? I have always provided for our son and don't understand that with someone that makes and has more than myself - we have come to this also. My son has a large stamp on his forehead that says " your worth 17%". I think this is very sad that after a very short time of "physically" having a different address - he so quickly runs to court, when I always had the opportunity but didn't because we got a long and my son wasn't about making more money. I spoke to him about this and he stated that it sucked to be me........I should of taken him when I had the chance. Is that what our son is now - money ? What can I do ?

You can certainly bring up this argument in court. Have you seen an attorney? Unfortunately it is legal for dad to ask for guidelines. You can ask that dad pay half of all expenses related to the child as far back as you can legally go but that might not fly with the courts either. Google CS guidelines and see if there is a parenting time discount, and then get as much visitation as possible. You can also ask for joint custody 50/50 and then perhaps child support will be a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back