Advice regarding filing for divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2turner

I suppose you will recognize my log in name, with that being said:

I caught my husband messing around plus. I have been with him for 13 years. 3 of which we have been married. We live in the state of Maryland. I consider the separation to have started April 15th when I first found out. I moved out of the house on May 1st. I took nothing but my clothes and computer. I would say what we have in the house (a rental) is maybe worth $20,000. Now I have raised his 6 kids. The only ones left are one son who is 17 and one daughter 13 (I raised her since she was a baby) when I left the girl wanted to come with me, but he said no. 13 years ago I gave up my career to raise his children as they came from foster care into my home. I was making $35,000 a year.

Can I forgo the one year separation that Maryland says we need before obtaining a divorce? Do I have a chance of getting half of what are household holds? Do I have a chance of getting Alimony? I am currently working and went back to work when the last child started going to school all day. But my income was perfect as a second income. It is not enough to support myself.

I am not out to screw my husband over. I don't want a divorce but I feel I must under the circumstances. I feel as though he owes me something. I cared for his children, gave up a career... by the things he has said and done I feel like I was used to babysit his kids and now that most of them are gone and the ones left are old enough to take care of themselves... he used me until the time came when he could do it on his own.

I also want custody of my step daughter. Her biological mother said she would not fight me on this and thinks she would be better of with me rather than her father under the circumstances.

Last but not least, I don't have the money for a lawyer. If I got all the paperwork could I file myself? And get what I want?

Please advise...
Thank YOu

Your going to require an Attorney not a message board. Oh there is no way your going to gain custody of a child you have no blood ties to.

I know it is my decision..... I really just don't know what to do or if I can expect anything. One more question... if we are no longer living together... can we be held accountable for anything that happens during that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back