Advice on DYFS Investigation and Infringement of my Constitutional Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorvic

In the middle of August 2006 I received a call from a DYFS forensic investigator in New Jersey. They had been tipped off that I had been smoking marijuana around my son. It is a false accusation and I told them so. I asked for details of the tip and the person reporting it and they refused to provide any details (although, I knew who had provided the tip and it was bogus). This is the only "evidence" they had and they insisted that I go in for an interview. I told them I needed to talk to my lawyer.

At the time, I had started divorce proceedings and my divorce lawyer advised me not to go in to see them. Since then I have reconciled with my wife and divorce proceedings were dropped.

I heard nothing more from DYFS until the beginning of April 2007. I got another call from the investigator saying I had to go in for an interview so they could "close the case". I ignored the calls. The investigator called again and I ignored that call.

I came home from work last Friday and my wife told me the investigator had come to my home (we are now at a new address so they must have looked me up in some kind of database) telling her that they wanted to interview me.

On Monday, I came home from work to find a letter sent by certified mail, stating that they had tried to contact me several times but to no avail. It stated that if I did not contact them "in a timely manner" they would start court action against me.

The "investigation" appears to violate both my 5th and 6th amendment rights. However, I am not an expert and would appreciate any advice anybody can give me on this.

Can they force me into court on the basis of an anonymous tip?
What happens to due process and probable cause in an instance like this?
If they ask me to take a drug test, which I would pass but would find humiliating, can I refuse under my 4th amendment rights? Is that taken as a sign of guilt and, therefore, they can remove my kid?

In addition, under Miranda rights I thought I had the right to remain silent during any "investigation". Therefore, how can I be forced to go to an interview to answer a bogus charge? Why can't I remain silent?

I suspect the state of NJ and DYFS have enacted laws that violate my constitutional rights, and therefore, have violated the 14th amendment.

I have nothing to hide and could simply turn up for an interview. However, I object on principle given that I have done nothing wrong and they have no evidence except an anonymous tip.

As I understand it, if they have violated my constitutional rights, I can sue them eventually but in the meantime they could run me through the state court system until I can appeal in federal court. Am I better off not bothering fighting them and getting it over with?

However, in my research I have read many sad stories of DYFS riding roughshod over people's rights and really do feel like fighting for the little guy.

In terms of fighting them, as a next step I was considering responding to their letter outlining how they were violating my constitutional rights and asking them to respond as to what laws they were acting on and why they thought they were able to ignore my rights. Is that a good approach?

Clearly my kid has not been deemed as being in "imminent danger" if they can leave it 7 months before chasing me again. However, coming out of the blue like this they have now placed new stresses on my marriage and I feel harassed by their threat of court action.

Any help on this would be gratefully received. Thank you for your kind attention.

Jorvic

If you want to fight them, you will need to hire a lawyer.

I asked for details of the tip and the person reporting it and they refused to provide any details (although, I knew who had provided the tip and it was bogus). This is the only "evidence" they had and they insisted that I go in for an interview. I told them I needed to talk to my lawyer.
They never reveal the source of the complaint, and you were prudent in contacting an attorney.

I heard nothing more from DYFS until the beginning of April 2007. I got another call from the investigator saying I had to go in for an interview so they could "close the case". I ignored the calls. The investigator called again and I ignored that call.
So, they were left with only the other side of the story. That might not have been the best choice.

On Monday, I came home from work to find a letter sent by certified mail, stating that they had tried to contact me several times but to no avail. It stated that if I did not contact them "in a timely manner" they would start court action against me.
Certainly their right. You should speak to an attorney.

Starting legal action does NOT mean they will prevail.

The "investigation" appears to violate both my 5th and 6th amendment rights. However, I am not an expert and would appreciate any advice anybody can give me on this.
How do you figure? You exercised your right against self-incrimination by not speaking to them. However, the law does not prevent the state from acting on what they have or even trying to get you to come in and talk. It could be they want to close the case, and just need your side of the story before they do so.

And what has the 8th got to do with it? You have not been arrested and subject to bail, and no "excessive" fines or punishment has been imposed.

Can they force me into court on the basis of an anonymous tip?
Maybe. But I doubt it's anonymous. They just aren't telling YOU who it was.

What happens to due process and probable cause in an instance like this?
Your "due process" will be the legal system or even the administrative system for DYFS. The court will evaluate if there is sufficient probable cause to go to court on anything. Due process does not mean that they cannot act on what you perceive as minimal "evidence".

If they ask me to take a drug test, which I would pass but would find humiliating, can I refuse under my 4th amendment rights? Is that taken as a sign of guilt and, therefore, they can remove my kid?
If they ASK you? Sure, you can refuse. Can the court order you to take a test or lose your children? Sure. You can then exercise further due process and appeal.

Will a court order it? Maybe. It depends what the state presents in court.

In addition, under Miranda rights I thought I had the right to remain silent during any "investigation". Therefore, how can I be forced to go to an interview to answer a bogus charge? Why can't I remain silent?
You can. And they have not "forced" you to go. They have asked and asked, and have even advised you of the possible alternatives to your lack of communication. The decision now is yours.

I suspect the state of NJ and DYFS have enacted laws that violate my constitutional rights, and therefore, have violated the 14th amendment.
What?!? Are you being denied the right to run for office by virtue of a false allegation of a crime or birth?

I have nothing to hide and could simply turn up for an interview. However, I object on principle given that I have done nothing wrong and they have no evidence except an anonymous tip.
Then force their hand and make them take you to court if they dare.

Consult that attorney!

As I understand it, if they have violated my constitutional rights, I can sue them eventually
That has not happened.

but in the meantime they could run me through the state court system until I can appeal in federal court. Am I better off not bothering fighting them and getting it over with?
Entirely up to you.

In terms of fighting them, as a next step I was considering responding to their letter outlining how they were violating my constitutional rights and asking them to respond as to what laws they were acting on and why they thought they were able to ignore my rights. Is that a good approach?
Better to have an attorney speak for you. By writing such a letter you may only confirm your lack of understanding of the law. They are also under no obligation to respond.

- Carl

Carl,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm clearly out of my depth here and have started talking to attorneys. I feel bad for the folks that can't afford attorneys. The attorneys I have spoken to so far don't have good views of DYFS and the way they go about their business.

Jorvic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back