Adopted Parent liability of an 18 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddunks

My father is a 100% disabled Vet. If he adopts his biological grand-daughter she can recieve his education benefits. His issue with this is that he does not want to be held liable for action she takes after adoption. If she gets in a wreck he feels he will be held liable even though she is driving a car registered in her own name and her insurance is not under his policy. He also feels that he will be made to pay her medical insurance to include her co-pays. I need to know if there is a liablity issue here. If so I need to know if there is some document I can have drawn up that states I will take responsibility for any liablilty if it were to ever occur.

First of all, adoption is neither quick or cheap.
Secondly, I wouldn't be so sure about his adult granddaughter receiving any benefits.
I suggest you assist her with her college education. Your scheme is going to fizzle, but not for the reasons your dad fears.
Let this one go before you regret the ending.

I thoroughly agree.

And seriously - if this went ahead, the granddaughter will become her own mother's sister.

This is a nothing but a financial scam.

I love how you all are quick to judge. My family has had generation after generation of Veterans myself included. My father now had Parkinson's because of agent orange he received in Vietnam. I could have received these benefits myself but the government didn't give him his benefits until a year ago and now I'm past the age of using them. He earned these benefits and only his grand daughter might be able to use the. Unless you have some good advise based on legal fact please don't give your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back