Accused of theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So my wife works for a major retailer and was accused of stealing from her work place.
She was pulled into an office with two loss prevention managers and was being accused of stealing by returning items that were supposedly not hers. After my wife explained to them what really occurred they still insisted she was wrong and that she had stole. She practically begged them to review the surveillance tapes so that they could see what she was explaining was what actually happened. They finally agreed to review the tapes again and after 45 minutes they returned to the office and told her they were sorry and they were wrong.
My wife loved her job and when she came home today she was very shaken and now she feels ashamed and embarrassed to return to work even though she has done nothing wrong. I'm just wondering if there's anything she can do about this. Maybe to have those loss prevention managers held accountable for their incompetence. I don't know I'm just angry that they would accuse my wife of something like this. Any help would be appreciated

After enduring that form of mental abuse and torture, it might be time to seek new employment.
Very little she can do, because she was not required to answer the questions of her brutish, thuggish inquisitors.

She is free to report what happened to upper management or HR. However, she does not have the right under the law to know what, or even if, disciplinary action is taken, nor does she have any legal recourse.

I have worked as a Retail theft Professional for a number of years now and yes mistakes happen. I am sorry for what happened to your wife but other than contact her employers corporate office there is little she can do. Keep in mind making that contact could cause her problems as well and certainly guarantee she never advance from current role with company. The LPM should have conducted a better investigation before doing the interview with your wife but that is not actionable by her.

It's a shame that happened. She can report it to the "higher ups" but as shrinkmaster noted, it "might" cause her problems.

There was not anything illegal done by loss prevention. (just a mistake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back