Accused of Stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabsweet

I'm planning on keeping this short. I've worked for a company for 2 years now, and recently gave my notice. I've been the department manager for a little over a year. In the past we've been allowed to mark damaged products @ a reduced price. I've done this.
Recently, I took a box marked "N/C (no charge)" home. I had cleared it with my supervisor on a Friday of a long weekend, and I took it on the following Monday, when I remembered. I was called into the store managers office on Tuesday, where he questioned me about it. I told him I had previously arranged it. Today, my mother, who also works for this company as a cashier, was called into the store managers office regarding another box that had been marked down. She, and I put emphasis on "she", was then told that the reason they weren't stopping me from quitting was because I had stolen this product.
The supervisor claimed he had not okayed me taking the product. As for the box that had been marked down, I had no knowledge that I was no longer allowed to mark product down. Is this legally theft?

Thanks for any response....
Ray B.

If you did clear with your supervisor and security, it is not theft; however, if you just cleared with your supervisor without any written OK from him/her, then you are in a sticky situation. It is your word against theirs regardless of what you have done in the past regarding markdowns. Try to see if by returning the box and its contents if the issue goes away. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back