Accused of Fraud For Not Specifying Volunteer Work On Resume?

G

Is this possible?

Trouble for not distinguishing between volunteer/paid experience on resume?

I've recently got a job offer retracted because the company ran a credit check and said they couldn't find any tax info from the previous jobs listed in my experience. When they asked why, I told them my jobs were unpaid/voluntary (helping my aunt out at her company/pooled money together with friends to open a stall at the local market/volunteer work). I had everything just grouped under "Experience" with position title/company/location/dates, and since they never specifically asked about the status of my previous positions in the interview I never mentioned it, is it wrong on my part for not saying upfront the positions were unpaid/volunteer work?

I gave out references to call but the company won't take it as a mean to verify and is basically saying I purposely withheld information and lied about my past. They're threatening to blacklist my name in their recruiter network which is shared with the other big financial institutions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see where they did anything illegal in retracting the job offer if they believe you were not completely truthful on your application re your work experience.

Back