Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Absconded from probation for 2nd DUI 4 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulinCA

I have a hit and run (scraped a vehicle in parking lot) and 2 DUI's (high BAL). Did my jail time for 2nd DUI and some probation requirements. I was in an abusive relationship (documented through police and sexual assault victims services) and had nowhere else to live/no job. Talked to probation and asked for help and they suggested the homeless shelter because no womens shelters would take me because I had no children at that time. I left Napa in 2011 and stayed with a friend who was very ill to get away from my ex. I helped her in exchange for room and board. I met my husband and moved out of state and we had our children there. I am a recovering alcoholic, I have completely changed my life and have people who will write letters & proof of therapy. I am hoping to get this transferred to my new state (Idaho). If I pay all fines, what are the chances they will transfer it? Can they force me to move back to California? I want to be with my children. My husband works full time and I care for our kids. I plan to hire a lawyer but I am unsure if we should hide the fact that I moved out of state to avoid charges or be honest because it could help me get it transferred? Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you!

I have a hit and run (scraped a vehicle in parking lot) and 2 DUI's (high BAL). Did my jail time for 2nd DUI and some probation requirements. I was in an abusive relationship (documented through police and sexual assault victims services) and had nowhere else to live/no job. Talked to probation and asked for help and they suggested the homeless shelter because no womens shelters would take me because I had no children at that time. I left Napa in 2011 and stayed with a friend who was very ill to get away from my ex. I helped her in exchange for room and board. I met my husband and moved out of state and we had our children there. I am a recovering alcoholic, I have completely changed my life and have people who will write letters & proof of therapy. I am hoping to get this transferred to my new state (Idaho). If I pay all fines, what are the chances they will transfer it? Can they force me to move back to California? I want to be with my children. My husband works full time and I care for our kids. I plan to hire a lawyer but I am unsure if we should hide the fact that I moved out of state to avoid charges or be honest because it could help me get it transferred? Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Yes, California can extradite you.
Will they?
Normally, no.
Furthermore, CA is almost bankrupt.
If you were a convicted murderer or rapist, they'd likely attempt to extradite you.
Yours is a misdemeanor, and they'd probably work with you or your attorney to get some of your money, and leave you be up in beautiful Idaho.
Your drivers license in other states can be denied or revoked.
Yes, if I were in your position, I'd speak with a local attorney and see if he or she can work with CA Probation Officials to get this disposed of, so that I could live my life in complete freedom.
Congratulations on your sobriety, I do wish you well.

Last edited:
You almost certainly have an arrest warrant in CA. That being said, you will likely have to work with an attorney to arrange for an appearance and a new court date in CA to address the issue and see if it might be possible to either dispose of or transfer probation. I strongly suspect that fines and at least a short period of jail time will be required before you can get this matter disposed of in anything approaching a favorable manner.

I am surprised, however, that you have a valid Idaho license if your license was still suspended in CA. Did you get your license back prior to fleeing the state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back