1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

About My Contract

Discussion in 'Employment, Labor, Work Issues' started by ashishx, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:32 PM.

1. ashishx

ashishx Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Middle East
    Hi,

I have a contract saying like below :

-------------------------------------------------

(a) The Company shall pay compensation to the Employee during the period of employment as

follows:

(1) a basic salary in the amount of 72,000 USD. per year, payable in twelve (12) monthly

installments in arrears at the end of the month to which an installment relates;

(2) a housing allowance in the amount of 60,000 USD per year, payable in twelve (12) monthly

installments in arrears at the end of the month to which an installment relates;

(3) a travel allowance in the amount of 12,000 USD. per year, payable in twelve (12) monthly

provided, however, in the event of expiration or termination of the Employee's employment with the

Company for any reason, the Employee shall promptly repay to the Company the pro-rata portion of

any of the allowances referred to in Sections (a)(2) and (a)(3), hereof then already paid

by the Company that are attributable to the period after the effective date of such expiration or

termination.

-------------------------------------------------------

This made me confused as my English is not enough to understand !

I started to work on 1st of June 2019 , if I resign on 1st of December will I have to pay 55.000 (home allowance for 11 months) + 11000 (travel allowance for 11 months) = 66000 or is it saying something different ?

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

You need to take your contract to an attorney. Contract review is beyond the scope of a legal advice site.

hrforme and Zigner like this.
  3. ashishx

I don't want a contract review just want to know what this means ?

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You're posting from Dubai.
    We have no legal posters proficient in the laws of Dubai.

We focus primarily on the laws of the United States of America.

5. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I think different but I'm not going to guarantee anything. If you quit on Dec 1 you'll have worked there 5 months. You will have been paid a housing allowance of $5000 at the end of each month for a total of $25000. You will have been paid a travel allowance of $1000 at the end of each month for a total of $5000. Combine the two and you have $30,000 paid.

Assuming your commitment was for 12 months and you worked 5 months you would have to repay for the 7 months that you didn't honor your commitment. 7/12 of the $30,000 = $17,500.

Certainly an incentive to continue working until June 1, 2020.

Lesson for the future. If you don't understand a contract, don't sign it until you do.

6. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Does your contract say that it is governed by U.S. law (or the law of one of the 50 United States, and if so, which one)? Does it say that any disputes arising out of the contract can only be adjudicated in a court in some state in the U.S.? In what country do you live? If you don't live in the U.S., why does the contract call for you to be paid in U.S. dollars? Where is the other party to the contract located?

7. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

What do you think a contract review is, if not telling you what it means?

hrforme and justblue like this.
  8. ashishx

Thanks I am so sorry but would be January not July