Abandonment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberjewels

My husband moved out of our home in September of 2007 while we were living in Georgia. I moved back to Illinois in June of 2008 to stay with my parents after I graduated college and he moved to Ohio. He moved back to Illinois so we could work things out in January of this year. In June, he moved again to Michigan for a job, which was supposed to be temporary. He planned on moving back so we could go to counseling and eventually move back in together.

I recently found out he is not going to be coming back, he has a girlfriend and I don't know his address. He has been ignoring me for a month and will not answer my calls.

I was wondering what grounds I should file for divorce under?

How do I even start the process if I have no money to do this with a lawyer? Do I really have to wait an entire year to file for divorce if I haven't known his address for 6 months?

Thanks.

I believe abandonment would start in 2007. He left and did not come back into the marital domicile. But you really don't have to have grounds for divorce. There are "no fault" or "irreconcilable differences" that you can claim without waiting the one year. Really, it is best to get an attorney to do a no fault divorce. It really isn't that expensive; save up.

You can serve by publication or you can get a private investigator to find him. Its not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back