$700 car dies miles after buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBC21312d3

I bought a car off of craigslist from a guy for $700. I didin't even get 10 miles away from where I bought it when it died in the middle of the freeway. Subsequently someone hit the car and wreaked it. The guy had promised to give me my money back given that the car died on me, but now is not returning my calls. I have the title and bill of sales with his signed and printed name, a police report was made when the cops arrived that night. Do you think I have a case for small claims or am I just out the $700? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As Army would say, "DUDE! its a $700 car." No you don't have a case. Most $700 cars are for parts not to drive. I feel for you in that you spent what you had but don't buy a car under $2000 ever unless you have $500-1000 to put into it.

Used cars are bought AS IS. If you signed the bill of sale and it didn't start when you got in it you wouldn't have a case. Go after the person who HIT the car. Do they have insurance? You should be able to recover at least as much as you paid for the car.

It is your wrecked car now. If you are lucky you can sell some of the more valuable parts and recoup some of the loss. You can look into the value of the car for recyclables too.

You have to kind of look at this from the seller's point of view too - he might have returned the money if you returned the car in the condition he sold it to you, but now you are expecting him to pay you back for a car that was wrecked while you had it. Also, what about insurance from the person that hit you? That is what you need to look into.

Another victim of a Craigs List scammer.

When will people learn, don't do any business (or anything else on Craigs List or eBay)?

Even that cute guy or girl you think you've met on Craigs List isn't cute, of the gender they claim to be, and sometimes they happen to be a pyscho-maniac killer or serial rapist!!!!

Those sites are for amusement purposes only people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back