625 ilcs 5/3-703 Violation - Do I need a lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pops16210

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Wife bought her 2023 registration sticker but did not put on license plate since her current sticker wasn't expired yet. Walked out of store one day and noticed someone had done a good deed and replaced her current sticker with new 2023 sticker. She gave me her sticker since mine was expiring soon. Did not know this was illegal until I got pulled over and given citation for improper display of registration(expired license plate but 2023 sticker). Have to appear in court. Do I need a lawyer?

I got pulled over and given citation for improper display of registration(expired license plate but 2023 sticker)

What statute number and section was written on your citation.

someone had done a good deed and replaced her current sticker with new 2023 sticker.

Really? Have you checked the number on that sticker to make sure it matches the number on her registration renewal?

Have to appear in court. Do I need a lawyer?

That's up to you.

I suggest, however, that you go to the DMV and get another sticker for your car, put it on and take a photo to show the judge that the proper sticker matches your registration slip.

Really? Have you checked the number on that sticker to make sure it matches the number on her registration renewal?

That's up to you.

I suggest, however, that you go to the DMV and get another sticker for your car, put it on and take a photo to show the judge that the proper sticker matches your registration slip.
Yup, did that the day after I got the citation. Court date isn't until April though.

That's up to you.

Statute number and section is
625 ilcs 5/3-703.

It happens.

Granted, when I observed that my registration sticker was no longer sitting on the seat waiting to be put on, and that when I started the car the check engine light was off for the first time in months, my kid wondered aloud if we should check the trunk for evidence of a dead body.

But yeah.

I also think OP is being disingenuous. Ignorance of the obvious definition of fraud is not a valid defense.

Statute number and section is
625 ilcs 5/3-703.

(625 ILCS 5/3-703) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3-703)
Sec. 3-703. Improper use of evidences of registration or certificate of title. No person shall lend to another any certificate of title, registration card, registration plate or digital registration plate, registration sticker or digital registration sticker, special plate or permit or other evidences of proper registration issued to him if the person desiring to borrow the same would not be entitled to the use thereof, nor shall any person knowingly permit the use of any of the same by one not entitled thereto, nor shall any person display upon a vehicle any registration card, registration sticker or digital registration sticker, registration plate or digital registration plate or other evidences of proper registration not issued for such vehicle or not otherwise lawfully used thereon under this Code. No person shall duplicate, alter or attempt to reproduce in any manner a registration plate or digital registration plate or registration sticker or digital registration sticker issued under this Code. No person shall make fraudulent use of evidences of registration or certificates of title issued erroneously by the Secretary of State. No person shall manufacture, advertise, distribute or sell any certificate of title, registration card, registration plate or digital registration plate, registration sticker or digital registration sticker, special plate or permit or other evidences of proper registration which purports to have been issued under this Code. The Secretary of State may request the Attorney General to seek a restraining order in the circuit court against any person who violates this Section by advertising such fraudulent items. Any violation of this Section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Uh oh, it's a criminal offense. Conviction gets you a criminal record that, at the very least, shows up on employer background checks.

Class C Misdemeanor Laws Illinois | Sentencing (criminallawyerillinois.com)

Get a lawyer no matter what it costs. Do not do this alone. A lawyer may be able to get you pled down to a traffic offense or get you deferred adjudication where it gets dismissed after a probationary period.

Walked out of store one day and noticed someone had done a good deed and replaced her current sticker with new 2023 sticker.

The good deed might soon become another troublesome issue for you or her. I suggest you speak to your spouse about correcting the ALLEGED good deed.

How???

A visit to the nearest DMV office to PURCHASE or REPLACE the purported GIFT sticker from the anonymous Good Samaritan.

Why???

4678172-Oscar-Wilde-Quote-No-good-deed-goes-unpunished.jpg

It could potentially help you navigate the legal process more effectively and ensure you understand your rights and options. Best of luck with resolving the matter! - Talha
Please pay attention to the dates. This thread is over 5 months old and likely has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back