Assault & Battery 28 yr old dating 17yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mzgoldberg

I am 28 years old and was dating a 17 year old female. The police were made aware of this and did an investigation. They had pulled the girl out of class and questioned her. Everything was fine and then they questioned the mom, she had no idea and doesn't condone us seeing each other. The detective came to my house and preceded to tell me that the parents won't press charges of interfering with there parental rights as long as I stop seeing and talking to her. She turns 18 in 6 months and from what I read the age of consent in NJ is 16. Can I be held liable for this or any other offense criminal or civil? Before I try to initiate any type of contact I want to make sure. Thank you for your help.

She can consent to sex, but she is still a minor and if you see her when the parents have told you not to it's a misdemeanor interference with custody. Wait 6 months.

Hang around a little bit and Army will be here to really ream you out and you won't mind what the parents say after that!

I didn't join this forum to be reamed out nor did I join to fight with anyone. I joined cause i truly care for this girl and to a certain degree age shouldn't matter. And I wanted to make sure I'm in the clear before I start talking to her again. I plan on waiting around for the 6 months till she turns 18 to respect the parents wishes. But in the mean time I would like some contact with her.

If you encourage her to disobey her parents, you can likely be charged with crimes related to custodial interference or contributing to the delinquency of a minor (o whatever equivalent your state might have). You may not like it, but the girl IS a minor and she IS subject to the rules of her parents.

So, for another 6 monts you can either obey their wishes and act like a respectable adult, or, you can risk jail by acting like a love-struck kid. Your call.

I didn't join this forum to be reamed out nor did I join to fight with anyone. I joined cause i truly care for this girl and to a certain degree age shouldn't matter. And I wanted to make sure I'm in the clear before I start talking to her again. I plan on waiting around for the 6 months till she turns 18 to respect the parents wishes. But in the mean time I would like some contact with her.

I've posted the New Jersey law about sexual contact and activities between ADULTS & CHILDREN (aka juveniles).

Any adult would be better served to leave minors, children, or anyone under the age of 18 years old alone.

Do not use the below information to comvince yourself that it is OKAY to engage in intercourse or other sexual acts with anyone below the age of majority.

You are about to embark upon a fool's errand.

Children change their minds more frequently than a stoplight!

There are many, many other remedies that parents can invoke if they feel you are sullying little Suzie or Buddy.

Your sweet, young, "tenderoni" can sue you for sexual molestation once she/he/it reaches the age of majority.

Have you read the scandalous accounts regarding Catholic priests and their notorious exploits?

See, those naive, sweet, young, "tenderonis" suddenly grow up and become angry about their sexual exploitation and/or molestation (at what they believe your devices) and/or they see an easy way to make some money off of you!!!

In a nutshell, and in layman's terms, NJ law regarding sexual intercourse with MINORS
In New Jersey, the age of consent for sexual conduct is 16 years old. This applies to both heterosexual and homosexual conduct. As a general matter, this means that a person who is 16 years old can generally consent to have sex with any adult, regardless of age.

Like most other states, New Jersey's laws allow for consensual sex between minors below the age of consent, if they are close to the same age.

In New Jersey, a person aged 13 or older can generally consent to have sex with anyone who is no more than 4 years older. Nobody under the age of 13 can legally consent to sex, regardless of the age of their partner.

2C:14-2. Sexual assault.
c. An actor is guilty of sexual assault if he commits an act of sexual penetration with another person under any one of the following circumstances:

(1) The actor uses physical force or coercion, but the victim does not sustain severe personal injury;

(2) The victim is on probation or parole, or is detained in a hospital, prison or other institution and the actor has supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim by virtue of the actor's legal, professional or occupational status;

(3) The victim is at least 16 but less than 18 years old AND:

(a) The actor is related to the victim by blood or affinity to the third degree; or

(b) The actor has supervisory or disciplinary power of any nature or in any capacity over the victim; or

(c) The actor is a resource family parent, a guardian, or stands in loco parentis within the household;

(4) The victim is at least 13 but less than 16 years old and the actor is at least four years older than the victim.

Sexual assault is a crime of the second degree.

This has got to stop.

All I can say, mothers and fathers watch and protect your babies.

The state (society) will let these perverted devils debauch and destroy these innocent children.

Predators are out there, ready to do them great harm!!!

If society really cared about children, they'd worry less about helmets for kids riding skateboards and bicycles; and create tough laws where NO, means NO!

I agree as above. If I were contacted by these parents and received the complaint I wouldn't hesitate to pursue charges for contributing to the delinquency. The girl may be old enough to consent and keep the felony charges off the table, but the parents still make the decisions. If they get it on record they can still seek prosecution AFTER she turns 18 for things that occurred prior.
It's called jail bait for a reason.

All I can say, mothers and fathers watch and protect your babies.

The state (society) will let these perverted devils debauch and destroy these innocent children.

Predators are out there, ready to do them great harm!!!

If society really cared about children, they'd worry less about helmets for kids riding skateboards and bicycles; and create tough laws where NO, means NO!

Well, that's not quite what I meant from my post but ok.

So if a 28 year old dates an 18 year old it's perverted and weird....give me a break all of you goodie goodies. Most of all you old timers had father that were 10 and 15 years older than your mothers when they married and the women were all barefut and pregnant at 18 years old. Doing something to a 13 or 14 year old is disgusting, but when someone is 18 years old, or just about to be 18, people need to mind their business.

So if a 28 year old dates an 18 year old it's perverted and weird....give me a break all of you goodie goodies. Most of all you old timers had father that were 10 and 15 years older than your mothers when they married and the women were all barefut and pregnant at 18 years old. Doing something to a 13 or 14 year old is disgusting, but when someone is 18 years old, or just about to be 18, people need to mind their business.

Try re-reading the thread...

...seriously.

Thanks for sharing the history of your mother and father with us.

That certainly didn't describe my father, mother, paternal grandparents, or maternal grandparents.

But, if that's what YOUR ancestors did, its none of my business.

Doesn't describe my family either. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's the way it is.

The law is the law, whether you agree with it or not.

How much in common can a 28 year-old have with a 17 year-old anyway? I'd want you to stay away from any daughters I might have, of any age.

So, When a 50 year old Jerry Seinfeld marries a 19 year old woman or whatever she was, it is ok? You hear about celebrities all the time dating people 30 years older. Michael Douglas is about a 100 and his beautiful wife is like 30....what do they have in common. C'mon people, wake up. If you're underage it's one thing, but age difference is no one's business!

So, When a 50 year old Jerry Seinfeld marries a 19 year old woman or whatever she was, it is ok? You hear about celebrities all the time dating people 30 years older. Michael Douglas is about a 100 and his beautiful wife is like 30....what do they have in common. C'mon people, wake up. If you're underage it's one thing, but age difference is no one's business!

The law clearly defines what is illegal. What you are referring to is a moral question... totally different.

I agree.. Age is just a number. If there is a connection between to people there should be no problems no matter what the age, race or religion is. It just so happens that I have a lot of feeling for this girl and I would do anything for her. She turns 18 in 6 months and age of consent in Nj is 16. The only thing I have to worry about is her parents coming after me with for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Tomorrow I am going to the police dept and asking if there are any files on me. If there aren't I don't know if I would have a problem after she turns 18.

You would do anything for her? Really?

Well...why not avoid the entire issue, and wait until she's 18?

Surely that's best for BOTH of you?

Just because a celebrity does it doesn't make it okay. And 17 is still a minor.

First there was the SODDI (some other dude did it) defense and now we have the Seinfeld dates young girls defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back